My house water pipes are frozen. What can i do to fix it?

They have been frozen since yesterday arggg this is so annoying!

saucymami

Asked by saucymami at 2:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Open the cabinet under your sink. If you have a space heater, put that infront of your cabinet, if not you can run a hair dryer over the pipes. Keep the tap running after you get them thawed so they don't refreeze.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Hair dryer if you can find where they are frozen. Leave your cabinets open (the heat in your house will get to them). Once you get them going a bit let them drip. Moving water is harder to freeze.

Sorry you have that! I dealt with that last year at my last house. It sucks. Good luck!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Mine were frozen for 2 days and I was scared they would burst- I googled fixes and went with turning up the heat to 78 degrees and it worked- thankfully no burst pipes- google your specific pipe (mine was under the sink) for some of the precautions (turning off water at the source, opening the faucet) good luck and I hope you have no burst pipes!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I called the water company & they said because all of the faucets are not working that the pipe is frozen at the meter. Is there anything i can do in that part?

saucymami

Comment by saucymami (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My Sister had that problem. The pipes froze under her house. She called a Plumber and they heated them to unfreeze them. Then they insulated them. Now they are fine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If you can get to your meter, you can try thawing the pipe there, but you will probably have to wait for the temps outside to rise.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• try a space heater under the sink where the pipe is, I just had to do that last week cause mine froze. Good luck !!
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Once you get them thawed out, invest in some foam to insulate your pipes. They come in different sizes and are really easy to place. Also they're very inexpensive. I got like 12 feet of foam for less than $5 at Walmart. Good luck!
    ShirleyB335

Answer by ShirleyB335 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Once they are thawed out, the water will probably come on again.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2011