Know anything about the name Rhuie?

I have a great-great-grandmother who was named Virginia Rhuie - Rhuie being her middle name. I've always loved the stories about this woman and been drawn to the name Rhuie. It is spelled the way I spell it on her marriage license and her tombstone so I think I have it right.

I dabble in genealogy research and can't find anything out about this name. Where did it come from? Is it short for something else?

I am planning on using this name for my daughter (possibly as a middle name) and would really like to know more about where it came from.

Thanks!

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Baby Names

• All I could find was spelled Ruhi.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks Crafting Mama - I saw that one too, it's Indian I think and the meaning is pretty (soul) - but I am fairly certain it isn't an Indian influence in my family.

If I don't ever find another answer I'm sticking with that definition!
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• well, there i a horse with that name & a lot of people from the 1800's & early 1900's. Can't find an origin, or what it means. Maybe it's indian or something.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Based on the pronunciation it could possibly be a variation of Rue, the shortened form of Ruth/Ruthie. Many people in the 1800's were not well educated and so did not know proper spelling (ex. I had a great-great uncle named Hurlae, pronounced Hurley). If the name is not spelled correctly that could be making it difficult for you to research it.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i've never heard it before :)
    its cute!
    Sammy4411

Answer by Sammy4411 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• never heard it before either
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I have no idea, I've never heard of it. It makes me think of a nickname for Ruth or Ruthie. Good luck finding information about it. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• sounds good
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:05 AM on Feb. 7, 2011