What can I do when the school won't help me?

My 11 year old daughter started middle school this year and for the most part has not had problems. The only real problem has been with her math class/teacher. Prissy doesn't really get along with her and after having met her, I can understand why. I thought of moving her to another class, but decided against it. In life she will run into people she doesn't like and will have to find a way to keep the peace with them. But that's not so much the problem .... The thing is Prissy does her homework/class work but very often does not recieve credit. The teacher insits the work is not turned in and Prissy insits that it is. When I visited the teacher she said there was no way to prove Prissy is telling the truth and late work is not accepted. So I went to the school counselor, who spoke to my daughter, gave her a homework contract forone week and basically did nothing. Prissy recieved an "F" last semester and this semester I'm determined to not let that happen again. I thought of e-mailing the teacher quite often to confirm homework/assignments. Do you think this would be ok?

cecyh9

Asked by cecyh9 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, if my child were dealing with someone like this I would start scanning their homework each night and emailing it to the teacher and the principal. It sounds like this teacher just wants to be a pain for your child and I don't put up with that.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I too agree with scout... if it came down to it I would walk the homework in myself (before school so as not to embarrass my child) and I would make sure the principal was present every single time. I had a teacher in 6th grade who honestly did not like me and made my life a living hell. She failed one of my book reports because I read a book off the reading list, but it wasn't one she had "recommended" so it "didn't count". My mom was in their faster then I could blink. She started emailing the principal daily updates, documented everything I did and turn in, even went and turned in some assignments herself to the principal. The teacher ended up having to change my previous semesters grade, and I got a higher grade from her 2nd semester. She ended up being fired 2 years later. I wouldn't leave that principal alone until something is done, just make sure your daughter isn't forgetting to turn in assignments
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• what scout said.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would have her moved to a different class....In life, you can also choose to deal with difficult people by changing the situation if you can.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• agree with scout mom. I would start by emailing the teacher every single day to see if the homework was turned in. If after one week, the problem continues, then start dong what scout_mom says. Have you seen this homework before your child leaves for school? it makes no sense that she wouldn't turn it in? I would sit down with the teacher, AND the principal to see exactly what is expected for homework, when it's to be turned in (in specific, begining of class, end of class?), and any other details. I would have your dd in the meeting too since she's old enough. Then EVERYONE is aware of expectations...your dd AND the teacher.
    Anonymous

• Yes I would email the teacher as often as you want. I would also verify that my daughter did the homework nightly. On our school websites we can see what assignments are or the teachers send out a newsletter telling us what is expected. Plus there is an assignment notebook they have to write in for each subject explaining what they are doing when things are due. Maybe you can arrange with her teacher to email you or put up on a web site what is due when or even write with marker on her assignments when things are due so you know and can double check. I would copy the principle or counselor all the emails you send.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Of course. As a parent you have a right to know how your child is progressing or if they're slacking. Have the teacher email you with a list of her homework assignments for the day. Then sit down with her to do it or check her work after she's finished. Have her put it in her backpack the night before then double check before she leaves in the morning. This leaves no chance that she is not turning in at least her homework. If she's not having this problem in her other classes, (supposedly not turning in class work) then it's unlikely that she would only do it in this class. If her grades improve, perhaps she was slacking. If they do not improve after employing these methods then it is definitely the teacher. It's sad but there are some teachers out there that bully kids like this for no apparent reason. I'm sorry she's singled out your child and I wish you the best of luck.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• This teacher could change your DD's whole outlook on education for the worse and I'd hate to see that happen, She should not be teaching IMO. I would change her teacher in this instance. I however like your attitude by not being over protective, but this to me is an exception.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would try to figute out some way for the teacher to verify she has received the homework. Can you give the teacher something to give your daughter that would basically be a homework receipt? Like maybe a pad of bright pink post-it notes. Every day you send your DD to school with her homework done, she hands it in and gets her pink receipt with the teachers initials or something, which she then brings home to you that night. That way you know the homework was received by the teacher. If your DD doesn't come home with the pink slip you know she failed to turn it in, and if the teacher says she doesn't have it and you had the slip then you know something is up with the teacher. It seems over the top but I would be worried about who to believe here- why would your DD do the work and not turn it in, but why would the teacher lie and state she didn't receive it? I hope you get it figured out.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would not switch teachers because everytime your child has an issue with a teacher she will expect you to get her switched. When my son ahd issues with his math teacher in 8th grade, I brought his homework directly to the teacher. I had carbon paper and a copy of the homework and made her sign and date that she got the homework. She told me it was a hassle and I told her that if she did her job and stopped losing homework, I wouldn't have to waste MY time to come in and help her out. I wasn't the only parent that did this. It also could be that your daughter is not handing in the homework. My son does that too, he forgets it in his locker and doesn't ask to go get it. Sit down and have a talk with the teacher, principal and your daughter. I also like the idea of scanning the homework and emailing it to the teacher...I would add a read recipt to the email. Also, copy or blind copy the principal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011