Does the bride have the right to ask the groom to destroy pictures of previous girlfriends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• of course she has the right to do so.

personally though, i would never ask DH such a thing. i had an ex once, who one day when he was at our apartment by himself, went through my photo albums, took every single picture out of an ex i dated for 4 years, destroyed them, and wrote comments in the spaces of the photo album they used to be. that particular ex (the one in the photos) was my first love, first kiss, first everything. it was very hurtful and i didnt understand why a picture got that current boyfriend so upset. i later realized he was SUPER controlling, to the point i lost all contact with my friends & FAMILY. im glad im no longer with that SOB.

a picture is just a picture, a frozen memory. even though you destroy the pics, doesnt destroy the memory. he can still think about it if he wants to. my DH went thru his room one day & took it upon himself to throw out pics of his ex. i would never ask him to, though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Why in the world would you need to do that? Our history is what makes us who we are.

If pictures are that much of a threat to the relationship, there are more problems then torn-up pictures will resolve.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Of course she has the right to ask. But then he also has the right to tell her to get bent.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Why would you be threatened by photos? As long as they aren't hanging the wall or displayed, i don't see why he should "erase" his past.
    I wouldnt ask my SO to, because I would hope he never asked me to. A lot of pictures of my ex are at big events with tons if friends, and I would hate to have to destroy the memories i would like to share with my children when they are adults. I had a life before their father, and i wouldn't want to have nothing left to show for it, ex or not. It's my past, it made me who i am, and i want my children to see it.
    Anonymous

• No !!!!! If they are jealous they should not be getting married !!!!!!! TRUST is a major part of marriage !!!!!!!!
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 3:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Only if she is willing to do the same for him. Personally, I would not ask my husband to destroy photos from his past - I've got him the present and that means so much more.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yes indeed
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No way. Those are his memories. Don't show you are insecure about those things. It is life.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, and I don't see why he would have an issue with the request.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As long as they are not hung up on your walls I see no reason for either of you to destroy pics and things of your past.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011