Does the Obama's social calendar receive more coverage than former presidents,

or it more full?? Or is it just because I'm paying more attention?I was just reading the details of his Superbowl party plans...in the NEWS, with J.Lo. And I'm thinking, how is this news? Has it always been news?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, you were just reading the details of his party, that's why it's "news" because people will read it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It really depends on what station you watch and how they are feeding it. Plugging the Superbowl for instance is the big news on my local station. If Bush was president and he was having a party we'd know it.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, people have always been interested in the social lives of famous people, including politicians....I remember reading about BBQ's on the White House lawn when Jimmy Carter was president, and Ronald Reagan's parties were more formal...In America, we don't have royalty, but we treat certain people as royalty...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think everyone in the public eye is getting more coverage than ever before because we have more media outlets, more people with access to more types of information, etc. They don't call this the "Information Age" for nothing. . . it doesn't mean that every bit of news out there is newsworthy, though. It's just there for anyone who cares to read/watch/listen to it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't have cable...I'm just reading, and I read EVERYTHING...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Little of both - Obama is far more image conscious and aware of being in campaign mode at all times. He's the first president to hire people to do nothing but handle his online image and manage presidential twitter, youtube, etc accts. We also have far more celebrity gossip websites and news stations than ever before. His itinerary is just as likely to pop up on Defamer or Perez as it is on MSNBC.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't consider it news either. Personally, I think Obama spends too much time on his social calendar and not enough time on his actual job.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Also, Obama is from a new generation. He is in his 40s, right. Technology has moved at lightening speed since the Clinton era (our last youngish President). I think there are just more ways to quickly get info to the masses as opposed to in past years.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Also, different people go about doing their jobs in varied manners. Some people use technology and resources more than others. Some bosses delegate more than others. Some have more "controlling" personalities and believe they must do all, if they want it done correctly-

Never followed the social calendar of any pres-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No more then any other President. People have always wanted to know what the President and his wife are doing.

It use to be that women wanted to know more about the first lady then they did about the President. They wanted to know what the first lady was wearing. First ladies use to set the fashion trend down to even the way they had their hair done and what dresses, hats, and shoes she was wearing.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011