S/O What is a virgin? What is not?

I know it sounds like a stupid question. But what makes someone a virgin? Is it lack of sex? Or does the hymen have to be intact? My hymen was broken years before I lost my virginity, and many other girls are the same way. Or what if someone in inseminated medically? Does that make them not a virgin? Are there different types of virgin? I mean, to me if person doesn't have sex, they are a virgin... But medically I think it's once the hymen is broken... And in my last question someone said once there is sperm in her (from insemination) she's no longer a virgin, even if she has her hymen intact...

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Health

• a person who's never had actual sexual intercourse. forget the hymen cuz that could break various ways
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• penis in vagina = not a virgin. you can break your hymen with tampons or horseback riding
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i think the first act of penetration by a penis no longer makes you a virgin.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Okay, that's what I always felt as well... Glad I'm not the only one.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think a virgin is someone who's never had sexual intercourse.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Virgin = no sex. I know this is not the "medical" version (hymen intact is medical) but for me that's what it means. Now, what about the fact that there are other types of sex than vaginal. That opens a whole new can of worms. LOL

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• What about homosexuals though? Are they no longer virgins if they have anal sex? And, if that goes for homosexuals....can it work for women too?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think you are showing how the question isn't as simple as we think.....and that we perhaps should do away with the title, except for medical purposes ?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• samurai - just because there are two women doesn't mean they aren't penetrating vaginally... lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's a person who's never had any form of sex. The hymen can be broken by sports or activity, it doesn't mean anything in regards to virginity, it's just one sign that may or may not be there that can prove a person is a virgin.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2011