Does a country's women's rights policies make a difference in our (the US) policies towards them?

Ok, probably the worst strung together sentence ever. I read this, though, and am just mulling over it.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it does currently, but it does effect my opinion of the country.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• How about this, lovin? http://www.npr.org/2011/02/04/133497422/Women-Play-Vital-Role-In-Egypts-Uprising

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think we like to tell ourselves we do, but in practice, human rights issues have little to nothing to do with our foreign relations at either end of the spectrum. We're just as likely to use it as an excuse to intervene with someone we want to mess with anyway, as we are to turn a blind eye to it in someone whose loan money or trade business we need.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes it does, it has for about the last 40 years. Even more when you have a woman as Secretary of State.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

_______________________________________
    Yup.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Nope....We need to work for a world where the plight of women, children, and Old people need not be a concern because respect is the order of the day...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with Scout.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• NP summed it up rather nicely.

Even the "aid" we give countries is only given with strings attached that work in our favor. Those strings usually involve : the use of air space, military being stationed in the region/area, access to natural resources, business ventures and the like. It very rarely has anything (if little) to do with what is actually is in the best interest of "the people" of that area.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have to agree with NP here again. If we already have an interest in the country, then we might use human rights in general, or women's role in that society, as leverage to get US citizens on board. As a matter of general policy by itself, no. I like what Anna had to say, though. We should pay more attention to how other countries treat women, children and the elderly (at least in an ideal world. . . ).

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Even the "aid" we give countries is only given with strings attached that work in our favor.

At the time we were attacked on 9-11, we were the number one food dona ro Afghanistan. What were we getting in return?

We give tremendous amounts of aid to Taiwan. What do we get in return?

What do we get out of the numerous peacekeeping missions we have gone on usually at the request of Europe or the UN?

Speaking of the UN, you can make the case that we get very little out of them while they impose a heavy burden on the taxpayers of this nation. The UN is corrupt, ineffective, anti-Semitic, and anti-American. So why dontwe start working on a functional league of democracies that actually want to cooperate for the good of the world as we see it? Anything that weakens the UN, strengthens democracies, and guards our country's sovereignty over time is probably a good thing, isn't it? But then again, I guess we have NATO.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011