Traveling long distances in a car with baby...

So, my Hubby decided that he wants to take a road trip to California ( We live in NJ) because his friend that stays with us wants his mom to move in with us...??? First of all I think the whole idea is a bad idea, going on a road trip with a 3 month old and bringing someone else into our home which is already crowded....is not a great idea. We'd have to stop every 2-3 hours so I can bf her, change her, and everything. So my question is good idea or bad idea? Would you do it or not?

EliannasMama

Asked by EliannasMama at 3:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Drive all the way with a 3 month old???? Bringing someone into an already crowded house?? You answered it yourself!! Not a good idea. Why doesn't the friend get a plane ticket out there and go move in with his mom?? Or have the friend take his own car out there or hubby and friend go... Don't put you and the baby through that...
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 3:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thats exactly what I said!! Thank You!! My husband is stubborn though. I said if his friends loves his mom so much and wants her around he should go to her or bring her here himself and get a place with her. I just wanted to see what others thought!!
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Personally I would have said no to her moving in the first place and then you wouldn't have an issue with the travel. Since you already told her she could move in I would simply tell the friend that you CANNOT help her get there and she needs to take care of that herself. You are already going above and beyond and a trip with a child that young would not be fun.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Agree that you answered this yourself. Not a good idea. I hope it works out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• But I didnt agree to anything. They decided this without me or my consent. i think I should have a say in things since this is my house too and it involes my daughter. but for some reason anything I say or have an opinion about doesnt seem to matter to him :( so i just have to deal with this because i have no where else to go. But anyways if he does decide to go through with this im not going ill go spend the time with my mother instead, He might not like it but Id like for him to talk to me about these things!!!!!
    EliannasMama

Comment by EliannasMama (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, don't go. He should absolutely discuss all this with you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would rather buy her a plane ticket than do the trip with the baby.

But not sure why she is moving in your house?
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Everything about this sounds ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, we've done many road trips with our daughter, starting at 4 months. But none involved going across the country. Not to mention bringing another person back with you. Bad idea.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I didn't read your response until after I responded. Is he married to you or to his friend? Sheesh. I would be rethinking my relationship, if that is how he is treating you.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I drove 18 hours with an 8 week old. Honestly, the younger they are the easier it is.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2011