When you have two or more kids

what do you do if one child is very, very sick but you have to take your other child to school & you didn't sleep all night & have no other help & hubby is at work already?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well it depends on several factors. My kids had a bus until my oldest was in 3rd grade. The stop was directly across the street. The sick kid would get to stay in the house in their PJs while I waited with the other on our driveway. Now I drive them to school. The drop off line runs curb side. I'd get the sick kid in the car with their PJs, favorite blanket, whatever else makes them happy and over to school. If one kid is sick, the other may be close behind. We get a certain number of sick days off per school year before it impacts your ability to promote to the next grade. We use our sick days judiciously. I'm not comfortable keeping DS out because DD is ill knowing he could be out sick days later as it is. As for my sleep? Well, I can't keep kids home because I'm tired and not moving well. Again, I can't risk running the allotted sick days on 'it'd be nice not to move but it's not necessary to not move' days.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 5:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If it wasn't a permanent situation, I'd keep the other child home from school for the day.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• How far to school? Can you leave the sick child at home and run the other to school? Can your well child ride the bus? I would call hubby and have him take the well child to school or bundle up the other one and make a quick school run and have the well child ride the bus home.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Depends on how old everyone is & how far I have to go. I can see the local elementary school from my back porch (although my kids will still ride the bus). So if someone were sick and I had to drive the others I would just get everyone ready and leave the sick one in bed for the 3 mins it would take me to drive them over. Or if that's not an option because of maturity level, age or illness of the other I would get everyone ready and call someone for help - another parent or family member. And if worse came to worse my sick kid would be in the car with a bucket on his/her lap while we drove everyone else in. As for the sleep, I don't see how that factors, it only takes a half hour to get 3 kids up and ready, once you're home, you and the sick kid can sleep.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• if one of my friends cant take the well child, then i just bundle them up and we go. i cant wait for my hubby, the one time i did my daughter was late. as for no sleep, it just something us mommys have to deal with, i had a newborn and had to get 3 others ready to take 2 of them to school, i probably looked like a zombie, but i knew that when i got home i could probably get in an hour nap. if the sick kid is really bad you could just keep the well child home, but i would check the school districs absence policy because some are really strict.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• no they aren't in school yet but my DD will be soon and after my night last night with my DS its making me think how horrible it is to have to dress him up & drag him out when he is so sick....
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011