so i went to lunch today with my 3 daughters & their godparents, and something got me thinking... (long)

if my 4 year old has an attention or behavioral disorder. just her behavior today, and past behaviors, have started to get me to wonder. she is usually in school M-F til 3 but they let out early today, so we went out to lunch with their godparents. now, i know she was tired & possibly a bit bored, and when shes really tired, she is impossible and literally a force of nature.

ever since she was 2 ish, she hasnt been able to sit still when she eats. except in the morning when shes still sleepy. but something has to be moving constantly, whether its her feet, legs, or just completely sliding off the chair and getting back on it. its very frustrating. she does not listen well when were with certain people, like her godparents, my inlaws, extended family. she just gives me a look and keeps doing it, or pretends like she didnt hear me at all. her godmother tried to get her to listen to her today, too, and she just doesnt.

she was so wound up at their house, she was speed crawling on the floor, treating their couches like a jungle gym(which i got on her for that about), just acting straight up nuts!

at home, she is usually a good girl most of the time. i realize everyone has their moments, my 2 and 1 year old do too. but even at the restaurant, they were sitting & eating calmly & she was just so wired. then she didnt want her spaghetti after like 3 bites (even though i gave her options and thats what she chose) and started repeating over & over again "i want a french fry" literally until we left the restaurant.

she is usually not as bad as she was today, but we do go through daily things where shes so rambunctious or not listening. she was honestly very tired after school i guess. but i do see a huge behavioral difference with her and my other 2 children (she has a different father than they do, as well, and her aunt on his side is kinda the same way).

is it possible my child might have ADHD? is it too early to get her evaluated for such a thing?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Find out what is going on at school. How is her behavior at school? It wouldn't be a bad idea to have her evaluated. She could have a behavior issues or ADHD. You won't know until she is evaluated. NOT at school but privately. Also, if you know she acts up when she is tired, don't take her to a restuarant when she is tired. Get her a nap first. That goes with anything, if she is tired don't take her out until she gets a nap. She could be overstimulated and tired, which is never a good thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yea but its not just dyes breads waffales juices ect all have typer of additives and preservatives
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• not too young i think
    could be sensory processing issues
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It is possible but i think it WAY to over diagnosed, they have done studys saying that things in food like red dye 40 and additives cause childern to have behavoral problems. they r now ever trying to pass a law by this march saying they have to put "warning labels" on food with additives preservatives and dyes stateing that. here a website with infromataion on the foods u shuld avoid i would deffently try that cuz all a doctor is going to do it put ur child on drugs... http://health.msn.com/health-topics/adhd/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100163624&imageindex=1
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Its not too early to get evaluated, and if you feel as her mother that it needs done then you should. Just be careful though, every child is different, she may be just more wired then the rest of your children, due to hereditary genes or her personality. Does she go outside often? School is going out but remember its not like full hard core playing either, its all structure. My son is an outside kid, if he doesnt go outside and run off energy for one day he is like an animal, but once i take him outside and let him do his thing he calms down later and gets better. What alot of parents seem to miss though is that there are kids with adhd and then their are kids who are just hyper, there is a difference and sometimes its mistaken. i love sitting still reading books and i hate going outside, my sister is an outside kid and refuses to sit still if her life depended on it, but she doesnt had adhd either. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Could it be, and I'm just asking because this is also my experience, that in front of other people your discipline of her relaxes a little? I only ask this because you say at home she's fine, but in these instances at another's house and out at the restaurant is when her behavior is off the wall, and sometimes when I'm out with other people, I let things slide just a little bit more because I don't want to come off as a unbending, overstrict, miserable mom, so I tend to grin and grit my teeth instead of being firm. At home I tend to be firm, stick to my guns, don't feel like I'm being "judged".
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with amybaby. It is quite possible that she is pressing her boundaries. My experience with ADHD children is that they are always hyper, it doesn't matter where they are or what their surroundings are. If her teacher isn't seeing a problem, it sounds like it is a behavior issue with her. Try talking to her doctor to get a professional opinion. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It sounds to me like you might need to consider her excitement and when it started. Not only did she get out of school early...getting to see "mommy" in the middle of the day, but she got to a "resatraunt", also very exciting for my 4 year olds, and On top of ALL THAT she got to see more family. Sounds to me, like this girl could've been on a LITTLE PRINCESS HIGH and excited and happy and just wasn't going to listen to anyone cause she was having a fun day...that was a little out of the norm but worth getting out school for. And did she get juice (high in sugar) during a snack time before lunch...that might have given her a little extra energy to start? Hold off on the tests for now and just watch her.
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• Try to see if giving her peanut butter will work. I used to watch my little cousins, one with ADD, the other with ADHD. When they were unruly, I just gave them a spoonful of peanut butter and they calmed right down. Weird, I know. It could help, though.

Plus, if you leave a place every time she has a tantrum, then she knows how to get you to leave. She will do it more because she get what she wants.
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2011

• well usually at home i dont give her a nap til 1ish, and we got to the restaurant by noon so i figured she would be okay. i figured her behavior at their house beforehand was just over-excitement, not tiredness. and ironically, her teacher tells me shes an angel at school. she sits still and is such an active listener and participator.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011