What is the BEST parenting book you've ever read, and why?

My mom swears by "The Strong Willed Child" by James Dobson. And I've heard good things about his other book "Bringing Up Boys".

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 3:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have yet to find one worth the paper it's written on!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sounds crazy but Jenny Macarthys books, belly laughs, baby laughs.... They were so real, she made me feel like, I wasn't the only one feeling like this, or freaking out about that.... Not big on her as a person, but her books were so real, and are things not many onthers will talk about....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• James Dobson is GREAT but I think I'd have to say my Faves are anything Love and Logic by Jim Fay and Charles Fay, the advice is so logical and amazing. Some things in there I never would have thought of but they make perfect sense!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• the ten things your child wishes you to knew about autism

(not sure if that is exact title)
    was written in eyes of child with autism, it was the best autism book i read (and i have read tons), not heavy, not written like a medical journal, and it gave simple look at how the brain of a person with autism works, somehow it was a bit uplifting

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Magic 1 ,2 3 by thomas Phalan
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Scream-free Parenting is the only one I've ever read that I liked....I HATE the Dobson books with a passion.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The only book I read and followed was "1 2 3 It's Magic". No other parenting book was worth my time or money. I don't parent by a book or what someone else tells me, I parent by what I feel is best for MY child. One book I started to read said to ignore my baby when he was crying, I don't think so, babies cry for a reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• @BabyBugsmama- I loved Belly Laughs, and for the same reasons you do.

@JackieGirl007- I'll have to check that out. Sounds right up my alley.

I don't read these books and use them as the blueprint for my life or anything, but on days when I think my kids are going to make me crazy, it's nice to have some advice from an unbiased source.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Anna...why do you hate Dr. Dobson's books??
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Vaccines are they safe and effective by Niel Z. Miller! i bought it when i was doing my research on vaccines, its a great book and it didnt put me to sleep like all the other vaccine books! lol! so if ur ever thinking about vaccinating or not vaccinating this would b the book to read! it really the only book ive bought that related to my dd's life! other then that we just wing it! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011