what can I do as a parent?

how to get your child into a good college?

I'm stressing out. I have no money to send my child to college and she wants to go to college and have the dorm live. She knows what she wants to major in but I'm stressing and crying because I don't know the "first" step how to get her there. It might be to late she's in a senior in high school. Her grade point average is 2.8, did volunteer service, works, and involved with legal academy at her school. What can I do as a parent to help her out. What is the short sweet to the point answer? Or is there one? what can I do to relax her and me?

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 11:21 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• fasfa, lottery grants state grants. go to your local unemploymant office they can tell you how to get all kinds of grants
    hunters_mom820

Answer by hunters_mom820 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Relax.....you're gonna be fine. I'm in the same place right now. First off you both need to speak to her counceler. There are some colleges that have deadlines and some of them were Nov. 1st. But for others it's not to late. It's time right now to be working on financial aid so get with the school counceler asap. It's a scary time huh? I'm find myself in tears all the time. PM me if you want to talk.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Sorry to say, but with a 2.8 gpa, she's not going to have a lot of options right now. Maybe a junior college would be a good place for her to start. It will be crucial that she learn the importance of working hard in a college environment. If she can do that at junior college, then in a year or two another college or university might be more likely to take her and offer her financial help.
    lisafdoula

Answer by lisafdoula at 11:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Jr. College isn't a bad idea. However there are programs out there for kids who haven't applied themselves properly for whatever reason. If you are the first to go go college in your family (both parents didn't go) then there are some scholarships for that. There are alot of scholorships out there you just have dig for them. Don't give up hope. My son is going to Jr. Co. because he doesn't want to do his basics at a 4 year school. There are scholarships even if you go to Jr. Colleges. He says he's afraid he'll be to distracted by college life. He's very social and I'm glad he knows this about himself. He'll transfer out his Junior year. College is possible for EVERYONE. It doesn't matter how / when you get there...Just that you get there.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• A good 1st step would be to go down to the college and get information. Sometimes your child might actually have to go thru the application process to find out all the information u r looking for. A community college or Jr. college is a good choice because GPA doesn't matter as much. Plus if she keeps her grades up there, she can transfer to a 4 yr college when she's done. The college will work to find the money she needs (once u apply of course). After all, they want your business. My 18yo didn't get any grants or scholarships and had an even lower GPA, but he got a loan of 5K per semester for a local community college. It's enough to cover everything, even living on campus. Good luck!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 1:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• FAFSA, you definately try for scholarships because some don't base awards on GPA, but on the major, also check with the state on things. log in to websites such as Fastweb.com. also check in to summer classes and programs
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Ok, i'm a single mother and my parents didn't expect me to go to college therefore, they didn't save money for me to go. And yet, here i am. Not in a junior college. She doesn't have to go to a junior college if you can avoid it. FASFA, which is goverment financial aid helps. I think if covers about 2,000 dollars of it. Also, most colleges give grants. I would avoid student loans at all costs. They put you in debt and that's just another worry. Oh and my gpa was about a 2.8, maybe slightly higher or lower and i still got into a University. OH! and if she gets a good score on her ACT then she has a higher chance of getting a scholarship.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• look into the University some Universities will your accept your child but he or she will be put on academic probation for a semester....Look into Financial aid and Federal grants or student loans..
    juju40

Answer by juju40 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Be glad she wants to go and find a way. Student loans, whatever it takes.
    Meet with a guidance counselor.
    Anonymous

• go talk to the High school counslers, college counslers. ther are so many options for education. shes wanting dorm life, hmmm. dorm life isnt what its cracked up to b. most freshmen drop out, bcuz dorm life is to much. she might opt for a close to home jr college for the 1st couple of years. work on her grade point average & save a ton of money by living at home. if theres a will, theirs a way. keep plugging at it. stay strong, she doesnt need to see you whimp out. there are going to be tougher things out there to battle. an education is a gift she gives to herself, make sure she sees it that way. respect it, work hard for it, & it will never fail her. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2008