small black poop balls?????

Is this constipation? what can i do, he is 5 months old. He pooped just a little yesterday which is not normal for him and now today it is small black balls.....i heard apple juice helps .........what do i give him to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try the apple juice but water it down. If that doesn't work it might be his formula. My niece had to switch about that time because the formula had too much iron and that is what caused her constipitation.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• You need call his doctor. my baby's doctor said black poop is not normal.
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 11:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Constipation.. yes, call your Dr. Do not give him anything without your Dr's approval.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'd def speak to the doctor. If you can't reach them today, offer water until you can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes, that's constipation. Don't let the color worry you. Talk to your doctor about it tomorrow. Until then, give him a little bit of apple or prune juice. It won't hurt him and might help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Karo syrup in the bottle, also try giving prunes or prune juice... If he is eating baby food, any fruit should help. Give him more than normal. This helps my little girl right away. Beware she had this same thing right before an intestinal infecton (not serious!, dont worry)... so look out for diarrhea... if she gets that, call the ped.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My dr told us to use baby pear juice, or baby apple juice. I found the pear juice worked better. I put 1 oz juice and 2 oz water, warm it up though don't give it cold. Did this once or twice a day till my baby got regular again. Don't know if the prune juice would work, I was hesitant to try that because it makes my own tummy churn LOL so I did the least avassive thing first. I've also done the karo thing....but prefer pear juice.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2008