• In the Spotlight:

My son is gay...

Or he's not. I don't care.

This is a bloggers rant about her treatment by her church for allowing her son to dress as Daphne from Scooby Doo for Halloween.

Did the Pastor/Church overstep their bounds?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• This is so sad. Some church and some "God" these people hide behind.

TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• And yes, I do think the pastor and the church overstepped their bounds.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It does not surprise me about the stance of society and the church, fear of the unknown propagates this, uninformed people are a dime a dozen.  Kudos to her for her stance.

Answer by older at 3:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• She's was on tv for a while in November after she posted that - the hate spewn in the comments sections for the net versions of the interviews she did on things like Today and GMA were far worse than the crap her church said.

I remember talking to DH about her blog after I first saw it - he said he didn't see why it was such a big deal - boys do "cross dressing" for Halloween and pep rally type things all the time once they're in high school. Ever see a Homecoming powder puff football game where the football team dresses up like cheerleaders? If it's harmless fun when they're 16, why is it somehow nefarious and confusing them when they're 6?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Find a church which is more tolerant and less critical .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's not a big deal. I've got three little girls...and a spiderman and a batman costume. I think the middle one will probably be Diego for Halloween this year. In fact, when she's playing, she often identifies with the boy characters more than the girl.

It's called pretend. And the boy characters tend to be the ones that are independent and problem solving. And who cares? She's stretching her brain. It's a good thing. Heaven HELP the person that tells me to get involved and re-direct her play.

Play is non-sexual. It's just play. Society assigns gender roles to it...so effing weird...
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My youngest tells me she is a boy all the time. The only confusion it causes is when it is time to go to the bathroom in public and wants to use the one with the boy on it. I am glad she sttod up for her kid. If more parents stood up for their kids we would not have near as much trouble with bullies and such.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would like to say not all Christians are like this. I am a christian and I participated in cross dressing day for spirit week. I wouldn't care if my son wanted to be a girl for halloween. Grown men dress up as women for halloween! There's nothing wrong with playing pretend. It's support like hers that can lead kids to follow there dreams and become actors, writers and film makers. And more importantly, you should NEVER criticize someone else's parenting and especially not in front of their children!
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, they've crossed a line. I remember a lot of friends posting her blog a couple months ago. I wonder if they've seen what she's been going through ever since. Very, very sad, but in some ways, it doesn't surprise me. Boys dress as girls for things like Halloween all the time, so all this started over something really stupid IMO. If I were her, I'd rather know where they really stand on these things so I could find a community or church that really does love and respect everyone as individuals instead of intimidating everyone into thinking the same way on everything. She seems like a strong woman who has a good head on her shoulders and a great love for her son, so I'm sure she'll be just fine after she gets through this.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• – collapse
    If you were Muslim being gay gets a family killed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 (hidden) + expand