moms who have given pacis to a child over 12months old....

NO BASHING, You will be reported, if you have nothing productive to say then this is not a question for you.

Anyways, my ds is almost 18months old and I was thinking of taking the paci away. He hasn't had one today and has been really fussy and refuses to take a nap. I'm about to give in and let him have it. What age did you take the paci away for good? (and he still has that "sucking" reflex b/c when he wants his paci he slobbers alot and tries to suck on his tounge)

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Two of my boys stopped taking paci's on their own by the time they were 15 mo old, and 1 of mine held on to his till he was almost 3. If your son still has the sucking need and wants a paci I don't see any reason why you can't let him have it -- but limit it to sleeping time only (nap, bedtime). Then gradually cut back to just bedtime and eventually take it away for good. He may surprise you and decide on his own one day that he is done and give it up himself.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• its just me buy all mine have it til 3 ...yeah I know but this is TOUGH and i feel i cn reason better with them. my son is now 2 and I limit it to bed and nap time or he must be in his bed to have it....dont feel bad
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Well I probably will be bashed too but my Son just turned 4 and I still give it to him at night & at nap time. While he's awake he doesn't get it. It relaxes him instantly & falls asleep like a dream. But I need to do it soon or else he'll be taking it to college! LOL!
    Anonymous

• My son is two and he is sucks on a binkie.. i try to keep it to naps and nighttime but the little nutcase stashes them and comes around the corner with one when im not looking so i dont know where he hides them, its a pretty difficult place to because ive turned the house upside down and can never find any lol, smart little bugger. Anyway..my mom told me when we are ready to break him of the binkie to slowly start cutting them down, first the tip for a week, then alittle bit more for a week, and then finally after about three weeks they will sucking on a stub and will want to get rid of them cuz who wants to suck on a stub? lol. She told me that an orthodontist recommended this and it worked for my younger sister. We just started but like i said he keeps finding them and hiding them so we are trying to do it but its not working for us right now lol..maybe later..
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I wish I could give you some ideas. I was very lucky, my DS just started refusing to take a pacifier at like 7 months old.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• After 1 year I only let my kids have it when they went to sleep. It was never allowed outside of their bedroom. I took it away for good when they were about 2.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm weaning my 17 month old off of hers. She is only allowed her bink at night and nap times. Then none at nap times.... Then none at all. It will be hard, but don't give up! I've heard about letting them fall asleep with it, then taking it away once they are out. I never tired this, but it's worth a try, right?
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My 3.5-year-old still uses one while sleeping. He gave up daytime use on his own after his baby sister was born (she never took a paci). But he still won't sleep without one; we've tried, but he just doesn't sleep, or if he does, he doesn't sleep well at all, and the first thing he does in the morning is want his paci. He has some developmental delays, so I'm not worrying about taking it away until he understands better.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My oldest is 2 1/2 and youngest is 16m. They still take a bottle to bed with them. With 3 oz of milk at nap and water at bed. My oldest treats it like a paci. He is getting to the point where he argues to wear a diaper to bed, but I tell him....As long as you think you need a bottle for bed like a baby you are wearing this diaper like a baby. I got criticized here a lot, but had a few mothers tell me they allowed their kids to outgrow a bottle as well. Most all happened during the 3rd year. My oldest is so high strung he needs that sucking to calm down. I tried 3x to take it and always results in violent and lengthly outbursts, to the point he was banging his head off the wall. My younger doesn't seam as attached. Hoping when I give him a cup one of these days he just takes it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• lol Bobbysgurl my ds hides his too
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2011