Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax Question

When I filed my taxes I didn't get the child credit or the daycare credit. Can anyone tell me why?

Answer Question

Asked by ScentsyMommie at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (16 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You need to ask your tax preparer. If you claimed the standard deduction I don't think you get childcare credit. If your child is a certain age you can no longer get EIC for them.

    Answer by scout_mom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • She is 16 months. I just didn't know if how much you earned in the year had any affect on it.

    Comment by ScentsyMommie (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • She's not too old then (c: I think how much you earn does have an effect now, but it's been a while since I took accounting.

    Answer by scout_mom at 3:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • That sucks. It took me so long to find a job after I had her that I used my whole tax return from the year before to take care of us. I would also work temp positions for different companies. I guess they don't take all that into consideration. I have been doing my taxes online. I don't want to pay $200 for someone else to do them. I wish I knew how to get that credit. Or atleast knew someone who could help me that would charge so much.

    Comment by ScentsyMommie (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • You can still get the child credit and the daycare credit even without itemizing deductions. What tax software are you using? We've used TaxAct, TurboTax, and H&R Block (all free federal returns), and all of them asked about both of those credits, both at the appropriate time when filling out initial info, and at the end as an alert of possible missed money when I didn't claim the daycare credit.

    You should look into filing a correction. You will get more money for those.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • TurboTax is the one that told me I didn't qualify. However I haven't filed all the way through yet.

    Comment by ScentsyMommie (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • Everyone gets the child care credit at 20%(more if your income is lower), no matter your income.
    The child credit starts to phase out above 120k.
    You could handle your taxes yourself. If it doesn't look right, go to and look up the actual guidelines so you understand them. I put my info both turbotax and taxact online, and compare the outcomes. Then if there are differences, I go line by line and figure it out. taxact is free for everyone to efile.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • Call the IRS, and make an appointment to have your return reviewed. Bring your return, and all of your backup

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.