Just curious...

if you are African American.... why do many women wear wigs? just saw a show where a lady wore a wig (didnt think it looked that great ) her hair when she took it off was beautiful and shiny....

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 3:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• from what I heard from an (AA) friend, she said its just hard to control her hair so she got so tired of it she shaved it off and bough wigs from then on.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 3:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• In some religions, the women cover their hair because the religion states that only their husband should see it. Judaism is one.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Personally I have never wore them, but my friends who do wear them say it is easier to maintain.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Some do it due to thinnest to the scalp, some do it for different hair style, some do it easier to take care of, some do it bcthey are bald due to cancer. writher way it looks pretty but some do wear it well and some you can tell they are wigs :/
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As a black woman myself we like to wear weaves and wigs just to change up our look. And yes there are white woman that get hair extentions and weaves just like us
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I've always thought those awesome styles that last forever are because of the difference in texture - is it just wigs? or is texture at play too?

I will never forget when I was in high school I wanted my hair in braids like one of my african american friends. When I finally convinced her mother to do it for me it looked awful :( (I'm white and have fine hair).
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• one of my friends wears a weave all the time. Basically because he hair just gets to a certain length and then it stops growing (right at the base of her neck). She always gets asked "is that your real hair?" and she replies, "Yes it's MY hair, I BOUGHT IT!" Lol
    BlissAglow

Answer by BlissAglow at 2:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• well i have braids on now, i wear weaves or wigs because i love to change my looks i get my hair done every two weeks. i'm very involve in church so i like to look good not that the hair i wear makes me look good lol
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2011