HOW OLD ARE CHILDREN WHEN THEY FIRST START HAVING NIGHT TERRORS?

MY SON IS 3MTH AN AT FIRST IT LOOKS LIKE HES CRYING IN HIS SLEEP, LIKE HES HAVING A NIGHT MARE. THEN HE JUST BUSTS OUT IN TEARS, AN WAKES UP BUT STILL HAS HIS EYES CLOSED. I THOUGHT HE WAS TOO YOUNG FOR NIGHT TERRORS?

Ms.Tookey

Asked by Ms.Tookey at 11:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• True night terrors are actually a neurological problem that can be diagnosed during a sleep study. I'm sure your child is too young to diagnose but it wouldn't to inform his pediatrician.

I'd start keeping a journal of these sleep episodes detailing the date, time, duration and behaviors. I'd also make a note of what his activities were, what he ate and what possible stresses occurred that day. If this does continue to be an issue, you willl have helpful documentation.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Sorry, I missed a word:

"I'm sure your child is too young but it wouldn't hurt to inform his pediatrician."

pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my 4 1/2 month old does this but she doesnt wake up he crys really hard then we come in by her and she is fine.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 1:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I had a Dr tell me that babies have nightmares about being born its very nerve racking for them......Also my daughter is 6 and started having night terrors at around the age of 2 it was so scary for me cause i didnt know what was going on and she would be crying and kicking and screaming and you cannot wake them up with some type of shock the Dr's told me a slap on the cheek or a freezing cold wash cloth on the face and that usually woke her up... but she would be screaming and crying and yelling, stop doing that!!! leave me alone!!! over and over and over and then when I woke her up she would not remember a thing!! It was freaky! she has not had one in over a year
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• MY 4 YR OLD STARTED AT 6 MONTHS, AND WEVE BEEN TO THE DR. THERES NOTHING WRONG, NIGHTMAERS ARE NORNAL FOR EVERYONE.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2008