this might be a stupid question about heat...?

I am trying to figure out a way to keep it warm in my house. I have electric heat, and even keeping my heat 65 degrees or under, my bill will probably still be over $500 next month, and I'm still freezing.
I have an electric stove, but if I turn my stove on say 400 degrees for a little while during the day, and keep the door cracked will it hurt my stove? And will using the stove make my bill higher?
ps. I already know what the problem with our heat is. We only have one thermostat in the house so we can't adjust each room, and the windows in my house are not good at all even though we have covered them, but we rent so there's nothing else I can do about that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Just stay in one room and wear layers of clothes I hope this helps GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes the stove on will raise the electric bill. I would close all the doors to the rooms that you don't use (if you have any). I have 4 bedrooms & keep the doors closed to two & it really makes a difference. Get the plastic that shrink wraps over your windows, it's cheap & works well. I got it at Home Depot. Also get self stick insulation tape for the bottom or your outside doors. GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The extra use will wear your oven out faster. I would recommend getting some space heaters before using your oven for heat. Also, I would put plastic over your windows inside and out to help with the extra drafts.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ilovemypaulie thank you, we have already done those things though. and scoutmom, this is going to sound really bad, but I dont care if the stove wears out because it's not ours, as long as it doesn't happen while I live here it's not my problem. I really wish our landlord had warned us about the heating issue before we moved in, I spent so much money on our electric bill last month the we can't afford to buy space heaters if we wanted to. I asked my landlord what she kept the heat at when she lived here after we got an outrageous bill last month, and she said 58 degrees, and her bill was still so high that she had to have a payment plan to pay year round. Since she is the owner she really should have had this issue fixed before someone else moved in. However, I don't want to make our bill even higher by using the stove.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• lol butterfly, the warmest room in my house is dd's and I'm serious, that that's what we are about to do!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011