Has anyone had a facial? What can I expect?

I got a gift package to a spa that includes a facial. I have never had one before, nor do I know anyone that has. I remember hearing on tv that it gives you acne or something. What is the point of a facial and why does it give you acne? I want to know more about this. (The spa is closed until monday morning so I can't call and ask)

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 3:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I think the reason you break out is bc your face is getting so clean that somehow your pores are opened and is delicate for germs and bacteria to invade but the more you keep it clean your face will be so clean that it can't help but glow and be smooth. I hope that made sense. GL and have fun at the spa ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ive never had one before
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i have got done a few facials before, the only thing i dont like is they blow steam in your face for maybe 10 min or so. i hate that! i dont like heat in my face cuz its hot and i cant breathe good. lol. but its to open your pores. if people do break out its because the pores open and the dirt and stuff inside them end up coming out(or they are just allergic to the face soaps they use). also, sometimes they will kinda hurt your nose to get the blackheads out, that sucks too. other than that, it feels good when they put the cooling sensation stuff on and massage you.

oh yea, and they use stuff that smells like oranges too. i dont like that either lol. facials isnt my favorite thing to do at the spa.

but maybe u will like it, so have fun.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I've had facials done at several different spas and salons. The experience and results depend on the skill of the esthetician and the kind of facial you're getting.

In a spa, you can usually expect a relaxing experience. They may have a darkened room, with aroma therapy candles and 'spa music'. Usually you will have a few options from which to choose in terms of fragrances, and primary treatments. If your skin is dry they may focus on that. If you have acne, they may focus there. If you are concerned about possible breakouts, let them know before you begin.

For the most part, it's a very relaxing time of being pampered. When you leave, your skin should feel as smooth as glass. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I've only ever had one "real facial" and that was over a decade ago. I do use some at home facial products. The thing I notice (and remember from that one time) is that some of the products can tingle or even burn if they are left on too long. Brittany mentioned that steam - I love the steam :) SO I guess it really is something where personal preference is at play.

I would plan on having a red face for a couple of hours afterward, don't do it right before a date :) Do it the day before!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm an esthetician - the reason some people break out after a facial is because all the impurities in the skin are brought to the surface. Not everyone breaks out. Sometimes it takes a few facials before the break outs stop. I would also advise to drink plenty of water both before and after your facial.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2011