What do you all think about the Washington Bus Ads?

Some fellow humanists are reaching out to their brethren this holiday season by running some ads on the sides of busses to let them know they are not alone. Some theists are viewing these ads as an attack against them and their religion. What do you think?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this site, to find out more about it.

http://whybelieveinagod.com/moreabout.html

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I saw something similar on the news the other day. The side of the bus read "There probably isn't a God, so stop worrying and live your life."

I think it is considered an attack on our faith. People get all upset when Christians want to talk about God, but bashing their faith on the side of a bus is ok? I think it should be stopped. You know if it said "Trust in God" on the side of the bus there'd be a huge moevment to take it off!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I think it falls under freedom of speech/press. Atheists have to see crosses and WWJD all over the place and don't make nearly a big of a stink over that because it's accepted as a societal norm. I don't really think it's intended as a direct attack on anyone. However I do see tons of bumper stickers all the time that DO seem like an attack on non-Christians.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It's a paid advertisement, you can put whatever you want up. As an atheist I wouldn't be offended if you paid to put Trust in God up. I would just ignore it, and go on with my day, like I do for most other advertising. It wasn't intended as an attack on your faith, it was intended to let other non-believers know that they are not alone, and that it's ok to be a non-believer. What's so wrong with that?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Oh and it's not bashing the Christian faith, by not believing in god, we don't believe in any god, Christian, or other.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Well that billboard can be interpreted a lot of ways, "Why believe in a god? Just be GOOD for goodness sake" -- the way I read that, with or WITHOUT religion you can be a good person. Be good for the sake of being a good person. Be good *regardless* of what your religious beliefs are. I didn't see any that said not to believe in god. Just that you should be a good person regardless. I like the posters. It's interesting. There certainly are tons of moral messages, like those black billboards with white lettering, "I love you - God" etc etc.. this is just a different view point.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Love it! Like the other moms said, churches advertise all the time and most atheists don't mind. Its part of our culture and people have the right to express their beliefs.

I find it refreshing!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• How is that bashing God? If it's a paid ad, it's free speech anyway -- how about all those black bulletins that were supposedly God talking people? Not only do I find that offensive as someone who DOES believe i a supreme being (that someone would put words in his/her/its mouth) but that they were aimed at telling people how bad they were. I had to see those everywhere I drove and it offended me on a spiritual AND intellectual level... doesn't matter tho it's free speech. If you don't like it, don't believe it.
    Anonymous

• Just one more way we're kicking God out of our society.
    Anonymous

• Ooo I found the one that said there is "probably no god" It's the Atheist Campaign.. hehe  Different group, obviously.  Expressing their opinion.

http://www.atheistcampaign.org/

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I love the ad. I think the Holidays are a very lonely time for many. It's nice that someone's doing something like that for godless people.
    sharebearII

Answer by sharebearII at 5:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2008