So why is it in P&CE

That political and policy questions like this:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/236023/Think_Cap_Trade_Will_Only_Affect_Businesses_Think_again

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/281880/Want_to_read_some_key_points_of_the_HR_3200_Obamacare_Bill

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/315027/Cash_for_Clubbers_Congresss_fabulous_golf_cart_stimulus_Usefuls_use_of_Chinese_borrowed_funds

Could barely scrape up 2 pages of replies to discuss fact-based issues,

while drama/fluff questions like this:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/395103/Is_GWB_racist_or_just_OCD

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/395476/Why_do_those_on_Food_Stamps_or_PA_get_bashed

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/97572/Bristol_Palin_Had_her_son_and_named_him_Tripp_what_do_you_think_of_this_name

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/237971/Do_you_feel_Michael_Jacksons_parents_should_get_custody_of_his_kids

easily go 5 to 10 pages or more?  For those who are so insistent that people are purposely derailing questions to be "bullies", where is the participation in those serious questions to begin with?  When one side of a debate only shows up for the drama questions, why do you think it looks like that's all that ever gets discussed here?

Despite the disagreement - it HAS always been like this, (which is why I went back that far for those) and there are hundreds of more examples if you just pick a date range and go read through some questions.  If you're so insistent that there needs to be more actual debate, where is your contribution to actual debate?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Chicks dig drama.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Hmmm, you're very biased in the ones you chose. How about the bash on Nancy Pelosi? I recall a few weeks ago there was one to "add funniest" quote to match the photo. Why is that in this section and not "just for fun" ?? What does a post like that accomplish?

It goes both ways NP. I see often the very first reply picking on the poster for the way she asked the question, or ridiculing her because it wasn't a question - she has the right to post and discuss the topic of her choice, adding "your thoughts" is a death sentence with some of you ladies. From what I've seen a handful of women treat others with disrespect right off the bat. 

cont.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• cont.
    If your initial response starts off nasty then you are part of the problem (talking in general here). If you are capable of making a statement without being bitchy to an individual you'll impress more women -not just those you are in cahoots with. Sometimes someone has a really good point but the nature in which she speaks is off putting so I don't acknowledge it like it deserves.
    parrishsky

• People are generalizing about the content of all the questions, despite not bothering to even read most of them?

I can't speak for everyone. I can only speak for myself. Whether or not I open a question depends on several factors. Sometimes, it depends on who posted it. If I'm not in the sparring mood, or if I simply don't want to deal with ignorance, I'll avoid looking at a particular person's question at all. If I'm in the mood for silliness, I'll check posts like "Who's crazier"--I don't try to pass myself off as an intellectual snob who only looks at "serious" questions.  But it's still a fact that I'll avoid many questions if the "nasties" are out in full force, simply looking for a fight, rather than a debate.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Therefore they resort to the progressive/liberal rules of debate. Attack the source, attack the op, yet never address the issue

Both sides pull that crap, it's not exclusive to Liberals or any other group. There are good and bad on both sides neither holds the franchise on crapulence.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Also, I like this section. I don't have a lot of time in the day (I work) and I don't watch much news... so I come here to actually learn something... I don't respond as often as I want because of the way people misinterpret what I am saying and as I said before there are some really bitchy ladies that have no clue how to debate. Why waste my time and theirs?  I often refuse to post when I start reading and I see it's just a high school drama fest. I didn't participate in bullying then I certainly won't now in my 40's.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Come on NP- there are plenty of questions here where one sweet person will disagree and present a POV/ information that may differ from the majority opinion, and it becomes an all out attack (and counter attack). How many questions, in this section have disintegrated into that black hole? Please do act act as if this scenario has not played out in this section day, after day, after day...THIS behavior drives sane people away from this forum.

I see this so often I am flabbergasted anyone would deny it. It certainly has driven me away !!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sorry NP, I refuse to waste my mine finding old posts... but seriously, you are quite aware of the fluff and non-depth posts are from all kinds... You can choose to respond or not. What I see is the posts with 90+ replies are filled with nasty inside jokes, ridiculing, bashing and nothing worth taking the time to read unless you get off on that sort of cyber bs. I came across a few this week and had to shake my head at the immaturity.

Gotta go, lunch is almost over and I want to take a quick walk.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Most people on here don't want to actually discuss, they just want to open ther loud mouths.

I didn't look at any of the links you provided but i have also been discouraged in the past, posting what i considered to be meaty discussions that got 6 responses at best while, at the same time, a post with a picture of Obamas jacket with misaligned buttons got over 100 responses.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I didn't look at any of the links you provided but i have also been discouraged in the past, posting what i considered to be meaty discussions that got 6 responses at best while, at the same time, a post with a picture of Obamas jacket with misaligned buttons got over 100 responses.

***

LOL...That WAS funny, though! :o)

(I was the OP of that one!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011