A suggestion more than question

Is it possible to set up a "Vent" section in Q&A. Every day, there are more and more vents with no questions , some are really long too. Can there be a section set up for "Vents" so that they don't keeping taking up space for questions?

pixie_trix

Asked by pixie_trix at 4:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in About CafeMom

• It really has become one giant group with several separate forums.

Funny you should mention that. I noticed something while I was reading through some old questions (as in pre-changes adding all the points and crap). There are a LOT of people who used to use Answers that have disappeared. Questions that went 10+ pages, hardly any repeat posters in the answers, and they're all familiar names, but they're all level 1 -5ish - they haven't been here since the points went in, or they disappeared right after. People who used to live in JFF every night or hit every section in Q&A once a day.

It would be interesting to see some numbers on how many unique users there are active in this section now compared to this time last year or 2 years ago. I'm wondering if what's really happening is a side effect of a much smaller pool of people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I completely agree since people can't seem to get the idea that ANSWERS requires QUESTIONS. If you have a vent, write a journal post and quit clogging up the answsers section.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree a rants and raves like on craigslist!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree! Hardly anyone reads journals. People would get more advise on here
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You should see if theres some kind of " suggestion box" for this site,

There is. It's the group it tells you to go visit at certain points as you level up http://www.cafemom.com/group/110866?ct=wdg_my_groups

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• How would that be different from the Journals section?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Pixie - go into edit your question and you can uncheck anon - it will pop your question and all your replies back over to your name.

I don't think a vent section would solve your problem, though. It would give a place for questions to be recatted to, but people will still post them initially wherever they want, and once it's moved once, they can put it back where it was originally. It might help, though, if they'd go back to enforcing the old rule that if there was no question the admins took it out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ok why is my question "Anon".. LOL

Scoutmom is right, there is the journals section. For some reason though many are starting to prefer to place their rants in the Aswers section. I'm thinking that maybe if there was a section just for those, then they may actually get more of the attention that the poster wants. When I open a question and see that it is this long rant with no actual question, I skip it. Mainly because I like the interaction of answering questions and sharing ideals. There may be more out there like me who just skip them, if there are. Those vents may get more attention in a different section. People may actually be more willing to read them and respond, if they are in a section that one chooses to go to in order to answer/view those sorts of things..

****** Pixie_Trix****
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm sorry..

Sisteract is who pointed out that it would be like the journals section.. I'm sorry for the mistake in my last post... I just have been paying more attention while typing. I apologize for stating the wrong screenname.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks NP..

I know you're right.. lol... It wouldn't stop it from going on. I have to agree with what you stated about "the old rule". I never understood why that rule went by the wayside. Of course, those of us who have been around awhile (lol) have seen a few rules go by the wayside.

I just think that maybe that when people post something just to rant for awhile, that they would get more attention (because they obviously want some and want some interaction in some form or they wouldn't bother posting it..lol) if their rants weren't just mingled up with questions. Like I said, I know I skip over a lot of them myself..
    pixie_trix

Comment by pixie_trix (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011