Do you think you should give a 9yo allowance for doing chores?

I have heard that you should just automatically give your child money each month to teach them financial responsibility, but then I was always raised that you do your chores for allowance.

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 4:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• We were given an allowance each week, AND we were expected to do chores around the house; but the two were not associated. We were expected to contribute to the running and upkeep of our home because we were active members of the family. Our allowance was to help us learn how to save and budget money, and so we would not have to ask for money for things like going to the movies with friends. My DH and I used this same principal with our own kids.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I was given an allowance and see nothing wrong with it. It teaches them money. Plus I think they will help out more if something in it for them and not just being told to do. But each set of parents are different so do what is right for you and your family
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Money is not given if not earned, just like in life.....teaching them that it'll just be handed to them without working for it doesn't teach them anything good.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Nope, chores are to be done because chores need to be done. Members of the household need to help keep the household running right and that takes chores.
    If you pay for chores, then you are paying them a salary like a job. Not an allowance. Allowance is just what it sounds like, you are allowing them to have money.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• no. it's like a job, you do the work at home then you've earned the money. i'm not against giving kids an allowance at all. i got 10 dollars a week but i had to keep the house spotless and take care of my little brother while my mom was always working double shifts. this was after my dad passed when i was 10
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011