What's the best way to introduce a new puppy to your dog?

I spend most days at my parents' house because it's closer to my daughter's school. My parents just got a new & very small 8 week old maltese/poodle & I would like to know the proper way to introduce it to my dog. Our dog, Gummi Bear the pomeranian, thinks their home is his home. He has a history of being snappy & always barks at other dogs that walk by. I don't know how he will react to the new pup, but I'm not expecting anything too good. Any tips to avoid a catastrophe from happening? btw gummi bear is a male & the new puppy is female.. not sure if it's relevant.  Thanks.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 4:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pets

• The best way to introduce them to eachother for the first time is out of the home. That way Gummi Bear (way cute) wont be protective of his territory, makes it easier for him to give the puppy a chance=) Then take them back home and let the fun begin. Some dogs hit it off and some well need a little more time. Good luck
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would probably have someone come in with the puppy and whoever is gummibears favorite person should set and pet him while the other person set near but not to near you. let it be his idea to go to the puppy. it may take awhile. never leave them alone until you know they are best friends. don't put the pup down, talk to gummi bear and let him know he's your number one dog. have the other person move a little closer. make sure it is a person gummi bear likes. just take it slow and they will become friends. don't force them together. by the way. i raise pomeranians ( have a litter of 6, 6wk old puppies right now). I have raised them for 15 yrs and not one is aggressive. they love attention and children and other pets. they are high energy and silly. the breeder i got mine from says the same thing. i had a maltipoo and she was the sweetest girl ever. she was quiet and lovable. not sure why the other lady said that about inbred!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I find the best way to introduce new puppy to an older dog is to get something with the puppies scent on it and let the older dog get the scent and when during a face to face watch them closely and listen for any growling try holding both dogs where they can smell eachother and take it slow after awhile they'll get used to eachother's scents
    Dragonfly_95

Answer by Dragonfly_95 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• always introduce dogs outside the home in a nuetral place. parks are perfect, b/c they have other things to concentrate on than just the dog in front of him. gl!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Slowly. I wouldn't give your dog free access to the puppy. Smells at first and then meeting away from the house, at a part or so mething. Don't jump the gun on it. Also can rub a towel on the puppy and put it under your dogs feeding bowls so he/she can get use to the smell with a possitive association. Good Luck
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• It is only relevant if they r not fixed. But the dog breed u have has a history of acting aggressive!!! It must be inbred.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011