Help! I don't know what to do with my hands when I talk to people standing up. I hate it!

Sitting down is okay, because I can put my hands on the table, on my knees or whatever. But when I talk to colleagues in between without having anything in my hands (a paper, book, bag) I think I kind of hold on to my own hands (looks so stupid on pictures!) Or I'm busy with my hair, rub my neck. Always glad to be near a door post I can lean on. But when I'm all "naked" (meaning no support, nothing to hold on to) I'm just lost. I hate it! I know I'm terribly insecure sometimes, but I have no clue how to stop it. It happens automatically.
Even if I develop more self esteem ... What the heck do I do with my hands?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have noticed that my hands flail all over the place...
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I am not sure what to tell you because I tend to talk with my hands
    Lyndsey250

Answer by Lyndsey250 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Watch what other people do, and in private emulate that until it becomes natural....it is okay to hold your hand, and it probably does not look stupid, you are very likely being too hard on yourself...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Put them in front of you just below the waist. Elbows bent and relaxed. The fingers in your right hand inside with your left thumb inside. Practice it. After awhile it will become automatic.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's fine to hold your own hands. Or if that feels uncomfortable, hold a pen or pencil.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 5:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• pockets dude.... get some boyfriend/professor sweaters.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Beachmom your a dude! just let your hands do whatever they want to. i like it when people talk with their hands. it shows energy!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011