What is your teens bedtime?

My 14 yr old goes to bed at 8:30pm. He has to wake up at 6:30am. We are thinking of extending it to 9pm but I don't want him to feel sleep deprived. Just curious what others do.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 5:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Our oldest needed a lot of sleep and he was in bed at 9 PM all throughout high school.. His choice. He still goes to bed early and he is a dad himself now. Our youngest had to be in his room by 9 PM but it took him longer to wind down. Our only stipulation was that he be in his room relaxing with books or drawing, which was his "thing" (no videos, electronics, or tv).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• NONE..
    Anonymous

• My 14 year old has to be in her room by 10, but she can go to bed whenever she wants. She knows she has to get up by 7 the next morning, and if she stays up too late she suffers the consequences.  We tend to be fairly strict/conservative in many other areas, but this is one area we are allowing her to make her own choices.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't currently don't have teens, but seeing how my 3 & 4 yo don't have bed times, I can't imagine I will ever enforce one on them once they are teens. When I did have a teen, he never had a bedtime. As long as they are getting up and doing what they need to do (be it school or work) I don't care about when they go to bed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• At 14, 10pm was bed time (well time to go to their room). My oldest is 16 and I don't enforce a bedtime, he knows he has to get up and as long as he does and is still doing what he needs to do (not being late for school or practices) then it doesn't really matter.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Teens must start learning to make good decisions for themselves and what an easier lesson for them to start with then bed time. Have a talk with your 14 year old, let them know you are trusting them to make the right decision for themselves and how important it is to make good choices to help them succeed. It will also strengthen your relationship with them. If they see that you are trusting them most of the time children will want to make their parents proud you just have to give the chance to =)
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 5:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That's not our parenting style but I do appreciate the advice. We allow him to read in bed but he must be laying down by 8:30. 14 is still young enough to guide with our rules.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011