My daughter is 2 years & 9 months old & is in the process of potty training. She'll go pee in the potty but she absolutely refuses to do her other business there. I'm at wit's end with this! Is there anything I can do?

Potty training

amberflame

Asked by amberflame at 12:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Potty training is a process. Trust me, she'll get it eventually. You just have to be consistent, patient and praise/reward for success.

Like my mother used to say, "How many normal adults do you know who aren't potty trained?".

Don't let this stress you out and don't compare your child to the other people who CLAIM their kids were potty trained when they were a year old.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 12:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My daughter did the same thing, she wouldnt poo in the toilet for nothing it was really aggravating but eventually she was really comfortable peeing in the toilet and started to poo there too. Most kids only do one or the other at first, because after all they are 2 different sensations to them and they might not fully grasp it all yet. Offering dum dum suckers when she would poo helped some but it still took awhile before she actually took me up on the sucker and went poo. Patience is a virtue :-)
    Crystal42683

Answer by Crystal42683 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Don't force her... kids have to be ready to be potty trained and most kids do it in steps. You've got the first part down so work on that and when she feels comfortable start pushing the other business for the potty. You can also try if she is wearing underwear already putting her back in pull ups until she can figure out how to go poo poo in the toilet. You can also buy her a toy she really wants and put it in the bathroom where she can see it and tell her once she does more then just pee pee she can have it.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I agree with the other moms, don't force it. Try making poo-poo out of playdoh and take turns putting it in a clean potty. Keep it fun and silly. You can pretend the poo-poo belongs to her different stuffed animals. Have them sit on the potty, put the poo-poo in the potty, and then say "Wow! Look what teddy did! Let's see if we can make some poo-poo for lion too."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I had the same problem with my dd, I had to catch her in the act and then run and put her on the potty, she got the hang of it and hasn't pooped in her panties since.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 6:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• The worst thing you can do is show any bit of frustration at all. Just keep praising her for what she is doing and she will do the rest when SHE is ready. She will do it, just keep encouraging her. Sometimes they're scared, sometimes their body isn't ready. If you are worried, call her dr.
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 7:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008