do you feel rushed if/when you ask a close friend/relative to babysit for you so you can go shopping?

if i only had one kid, i probably would always take her with me. but i have three of them, and theyre 4, 2, and 1. i usually grocery shop when my oldest is in school, but there are times - like today - that its just not an option with doctors appointments and other errands in the way. i really needed to go to the store today, and the closest people around are my MIL and my grandma. both of them live about 5 minutes away. however, instead of calling either of them to come over for an hour or less i just decided to put it off til tomorrow & take them all. i have asked in the past, and i feel rushed when my MIL is here because its such a burden for her to babysit. i also feel rushed if my grandmas here because shes a 70 year old woman. and today all of my children are in horrible moods so i wouldnt have wanted to take any of them with me.. lol! tomorrow will be better, i dont have any plans and when i go in the morning everyone is in a great mood.

anyone else relate?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, when they were doing me a favor I was glad to get out, but I also felt I needed to be as quick as I could.

Answer by Bmat at 5:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would give them a time frame and just make sure I am back in that time.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When my kids where young like that. I HAD to bring them every where. I was a single mom. I tought them to be good in public.
    If you do not feel comfortable leaving them with anyone. Just suck it up and bring them with you.

Answer by louise2 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I just wait until my husband is home. Sometimes I go late at night after everyone is asleep. Or early Sat. morning before everyone gets up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I certainly hope that my girls don't feel that way. Since I never had anybody to leave mine with and always had to take all 3 of them with me, I have tried very hard to make myself available and to give all my girls the time to do what needs to be done. I've done double duty today. Went and kept 2 for their mom to go to the grocery and run errands, left her house and went to our oldest son's house and watched their 4 so Mom could get her hair cut and high-lighted. I left home this morning before 9 a.m. and got home just before 5:00 P.M. Don't think anybody had to rush too much!!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• well its not really about comfort or behavior. i am comfortable with both my MIL & grandma. and my children are usually well-behaved in public, IF we go at the right time of day. this close to dinner though, limited naps and such, would have been a horrible idea. but everytime i go without them, i feel like i need to be as quick as possible, and cant concentrate. so its almost just more worth it to bring them because i dont have to rush as quickly.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011