Agree with GWB?

Former U.S. President George W. Bush said recently that he was concerned that the country was headed down a slippery slope toward adopting a "nativist" national mindset, harkening back to a period of xenophobia that he said was prominent in the America of the 1920s.

Speaking at a forum at Southern Methodist University last month, Bush said that he had faith a "rational immigration policy" would eventually be passed, but not for a while. The reason he believed this, he said, was because the nation as growing increasingly resistant to outside influences.

"What's interesting about our country, if you study history, is that there are some 'isms' that occasionally pop up. One is isolationism and its evil twin protectionism and its evil triplet nativism. So if you study the '20s, for example, there was an American-first policy that said, 'Who cares what happens in Europe?'" Bush said. "And there was an immigration policy that I think during this period argued we had too many Jews and too many Italians, therefore we should have no immigrants. And my point is that we've been through this kind of period of isolationism, protectionism and nativism. I'm a little concerned that we may be going through the same period. I hope that these 'isms' pass."

During another segment of the interview, Bush also claimed that he was "through with politics," and that he wasn't interested in getting involved with campaigning or fundraising for future candidates.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I do agree with him. He had some very thoughtful remarks.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with him as well. The issue creating this problem is the high level of ILLEGAL immigration. I welcome ANYONE who comes legally. But my question is, why do YOU agree with him? He is after all a bumbling idiot, in your mind.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

•  

I agree with him as well. The issue creating this problem is the high level of ILLEGAL immigration. I welcome ANYONE who comes legally. But my question is, why do YOU agree with him? He is after all a bumbling idiot, in your mind.

I didn't say if I do or I don't.

While I do think GWB comes across at times like a major dumbalina, I don't think he is.....I just disagree with him ALOT. On THIS issue, I happen to agree with him, for different reasons than you, but I think he has a very valid point

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It is interesting that W was the Gov and legal resident of a large border state, and yet he did not take II on when he was POTUS. Why? Obviously it must no have been  in the best interest of his state, when he was Gov, and the country when he was Pres. I think many in TX have a symbiotic relationship with MX..it works and they know it.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The same reason that Friday gave in the Obama is a liberal but as President he is more center,,,and Cheney not coming out to support gay marriage until AFTER he left office

VOTES and $$$$$$$

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would need to see the enitre speech/forum before I could say if I agreed or disagreed with him...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree but I don't see it as a bad thing. It's normal due to changes that are being pushed through. People will take so much and then they start letting it be known. Right now, people don't want money being spent here much less given out to others. As far as immigration, illegal immigration is the problem and when the administration only wants to give amnesty people have no patience for the process.
    I don't think this attitude will be going anywhere anytime soon
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As much as I could make sense of what he was trying to say, I'll give a cautious "yes, I agree with him". I think he was trying to say that throughout our history, there have been periods when the population was very outspoken about allowing immigration from one group or another, and that those sorts of prejudices, as well as isolationism, are bad for our country on many levels.

As far as Bush not wanting to campaign for any other politicians. . . I think it may be more that other politicians don't want Bush to campaign for them, the general consensus being that it didn't help John McCain, the public, and elected officials feel that GWB is responsible for our fiscal problems, and they don't want to be associated with him--even if his reputation has improved since he left office.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Steph

This admin has been catching and deporting more illegal immigrants than before. It isn't about just giving blanket amnesty. The children that have been here since childhood and had nothing to do with breaking the law shouldn't be punished and the immigrants will be a big part of our future workforce...1hereas places like Europe are going to have severe labor issues because of the aging population and a fewer amount of the younger work force...

Which is what he was referencing here
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• yeah we are thinking in an isolationist way ... but that is a reaction to many things he directly caused.... like neglecting boarder issues with mexico.... begining a war that committed money we do not have overseas.... we are just reacting to our current climate.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011