Do You Feed the Birds? What do Cardinals Really Like?

I've never been a bird person - never owned a feeder. In our new home, we have a courtyard that has a feeder in it - I can watch the cardinals from my kitchen. They are really beautiful! My 3yo has started naming them :)

So - what do I feed them? Regular bird seed? Is there something that cardinals like that will keep them coming back?

I know this sounds stupid, but we really enjoy them.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Cardinals love sunflower seed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• sunflower seeds and if you cut an orange in half and put a nail throught it to hold it onto a piece of wood to to hold it onto a tree they love those.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They love sunflower seeds. Wherever you buy pet food will have them.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Provide water for them, if you can. And you should get a pair of binoculars.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sunflower seeds. I have three different feeders I put up - One with only sunflowers seeds for cardinals and the like, one with thistle for the finches, and one with a birdseed mix for all the rest.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I am not sure I wish I knew for sure.
    I live in Texas this morning I got up and went in our backyard to find a bird chirping it almost sounded like it was saying pretty, pretty, pretty or maybe birdie, birdie, birdie I loved it I looked towards the direction of the bird chirping and to my surprise it was a beautiful red cardinal we have birds come by but they are your regular birds but this cardinal was so beautiful I wished it would have stayed longer and I wish there were more of them. The cardinal and the bluejay visit once a year here :( Enjoy I know I would.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Aww Butterfly - I wish you had a bunch of them! Every morning I have at least 4 males and probably 8 females. (We're in Louisville, KY).

Thank you so much everyone!! Getting sunflower seed tomorrow! We do have water - we have a fountain; do the birds mind if the water is moving though? (Again, sorry for the dumb question.)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Another dumb question; can I put thistle in with the sunflower seeds for the Finches?
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We have a resident pair of cardinals in our yard...and the male literally comes up to our patio doors looking for food the kids may have dropped on the deck!! I swear he's looking to make his way inside! But they do love sunflower seeds and the kids and I hang paper tubes covered in peanut butter and sunflower seeds which they love! I also put out suet cakes, which you can buy a simple cage style hanger for and the fruit flavored ones attract larger colorful birds like cardinals and blue jays.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I feed the birds and squirrels around my home... I have feeders and will buy the seeds
    for the variety of birds in my area... I put out bread/apples/crackers for both the birds and
    other animals... during the summer a humming birds feeder gets put out and a bird bath..
    I have array of birds that come for the food and flowers that get put out...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011