How can I teach my son not to throw his toys?

My son has this bad habit of throwing his toys around the house. He has lots of toys and I think he needs to have respect for what his Dad and I have provided for him. At an appropriate level for his age of course. I have screamed and yelled over and over and over again. Now what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take them away. Hes old enough to understand that if he throws his toys then he can't play with them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When he throws a toy, tell him that its not nice to throw toys and then take the toy away from him.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When he throws something, go pick it up, say No in a firm voice and put him in time out for a couple of minutes, and take the toy away for the day.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When he throws them around, warn him that if he does that you will remove them. If he does not listen, remove them for a week. Just keep doing this telling him why you are doing that.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Depending on how old he is. I would tell him, every toy you throw is going in the trash. If that means all his toy get trashed. So be it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We spanked for such behavior and had very little trouble. In fact, our children would often hide their toys when they knew their cousin was coming to our house, because she was very rough on them, and her parents did not spank her. From the time they were little, I found some toys in some very unusual places after she had been to our house.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree to warn him and then take them away for the day. The 15 month old I take care of understands that if he starts doing that and I say "all done" or "all gone" he will not have that toy for the rest of the day. Take the anger out of it. Stay calm and be consistent. And make sure he is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when he does things right. Lots of times they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When you figure it out...let me know! LOLOL!
    siggyluvingal

Answer by siggyluvingal at 9:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We give DD one or two warnings (depending on what she's throwing it at, if it's the baby, she gets one shot and that's it) and if she doesn't listen, the toy goes. She understands things well enough to know about consequences. Typically all she needs is a reminder of what happens when she throws a toy, and she won't do it again.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2011