Do you think it's ok to get drunk every once in a while?

If you have someone watching your child or children do you think it is ok?

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Absolutely so long as the children are in a place that you know they will be safe and it doesn't become a problem, and so long as it isn't being taken to extremes (like giving yourself alcohol poisoning). Just because you have kids does not mean that you should NEVER do things that you enjoy or used to do, unless it would harm your child (like driving 100mph with them in the car...which no one should be doing anyway lol). If drinking/getting drunk is something you enjoy, indulge every now and then. I even think that up to one night a week is ok (like if you have a tradition or something of getting friends together once a week, or you're starting one, etc.), but I think that once or twice a month at most is probably best (or less often, even).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My liver wouldn't appreciate it. Getting drunk is not a crime. Not fun for me so I don't really do it. I personally would prefer no one abuse alcohol. I mean abuse...not use. Poor livers. Dying of a liver disease, very ugly. Of course there is a difference between drunk on occassion and drunk all the time. Still, I think mature people know how to have a good time without the need to get stone assed drunk.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Drunk? Like falling down, spewing drunk? NO. Once you have children, you set limits for yourself to make sure that you don't do stupid ass things, like get arrested for public drunkenness or accidentally drinking yourself to death.

Having a couple of drinks with friends, or going dancing with a little alcoholic lubrication...sure.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Of course it is OK. This is LIFE and we LIVE it. The very qualities you sometimes question are the same qualities that make you are rounded and interesting person. If you want to do drugs and rob banks though you need to sort out childcare first. We are not living in a script for a film we are living real lives. You have some responsibilities that you can not dodge so work around them.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sure. If you are a grown women of age and your kids are being cared for and won't see you that way. Then why not. My hubby gets back from overseas next week and you know what I am gonna drink drink drink. Not til I throw up. But I will get me a buzz and not think. I havent drunk alcohol all year. Its been a stressful year with him gone. So you know what I am gonna to enjoy as much alcohol. sex and sleep as I can take. And I really dont care what people think. I am grown. My kids will be cared for.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No.because you're going to have to deal with the kids the next day.
    I can remember my mom going out and sleeping til noon the next day and I had to make my own food at 5 because she wouldn't/couldn't get up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Wow, after reading these answers I must be an awesome drunk... I can honestly say the ONLY time I have ever been sick from alcohol I drank 2 full LITERS of alcohol in a matter of 30 mins... Other than that I don't even get a headache the next day. And as for the cost, I only drink in my home, so getting "drunk" costs me less than $10...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If you drink to get drunk you may need to read a book called Alcoholics Anonymous. Normal drinkers don't even wonder about something like this...just a suggestion
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 1:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• No.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Sure, if that's what you want to do. Personally, I don't like being drunk. However, I don't think a parent should ever get drunk while caring for their child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2011