When exactly is your water supposed to break?

For labor to be going well, when is it supposed to break?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 7:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Having your bag intact helps cushion the baby during contractions. Also if they break your water and baby is not fully engaged in the pelvis it could cause a cord prolapse.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My water didn't break until I was pushing. Some doctors will pop it for you to "speed up" your labor, but frankly, you don't want to speed things up. You want things to happen when your body is ready for them to happen.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sometimes it doesn't...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sometime it breaks on its own sometimes, the doctors have to do it for you. With my first, my doctor did it for me to induce labor in addition to pitocin. With my 2nd I had been in labor all day and went to hospital and when they told me they didnt think i was in labor but to walk around hospital for an hour, I decided to get some food since it would a while before i get some, mine broke in hospital cafeteria...i went back up in soo much pain screaming at that b*tch telling her i knew what i was talking about. It's different for everyone.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Except for my 1st baby(dr. broke it) mine broke as I was pushing. Some never break and baby is born in the caul.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• With my first 2 kiddos, the doctor broke it after I got to the hospital and was close to pushing. With my 3rd it broke about 15-20 minutes before I began to push. And he was out in 3 pushes.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When it is ready to. I had two wonderful intervention free natural births and with my first I knew I was in labor before I had contractions because my water was leaking. With my second it broke on the2nd push all over the OB. A good friend had her child born in the caul (water never broke) and the midwife simply broke it as soon as the baby was born.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• "other than an increased risk to infection, is there a reason to not have the dr break your water? "

Aside from what is mentioned above, they (the hospital/doctor etc...) will want baby out within 24 hours of the bag being broken. Be it naturally or surgically, they will want to get baby out. The risk of unneeded surgery is just too high for me, personally...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You are FAR better most of the time leaving it intact. Babies can be born in the caul(bag).

http://www.homebirth.net.au/2010/09/homebirth-video-born-in-the-caul.html A story and pics and videos of a baby born in the caul.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• After the birth.
    For labor going well, I think it's probably safe(r) & much more comfy if baby is born in the caul.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011