Co-Showering(2quest)

I will sometimes jump in the shower with my 4yo daughter when we are short on time. I always showered with her but it has gotten less. What age do you stop this? Is it all up to your comfort level?

Also...Moms shower with sons and daughters. Is it appropriate for a dad to shower with his daughter? I personally am not ok with it because of the diff anatomy and the fact the she would be eye level with "it". lol

These questions apply to those that can relate!! If it doesnt apply to you then you dont have to answer. TIA!!!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it is all about your comfort level. I've co showered with my son a couple of times (he is 2) and found it too difficult. I would guess that your daughter is prob getting to the age that she is too old for co showers. I agree about showering with the dad...that would def confuse a young girl and she is sure to be curious. I know my husband would feel uncomfortable too.
    CSUZANNE813

Answer by CSUZANNE813 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Well, I still bathe with my daughter all the time. It's just easier some days. She sees me change all the time anyway. I really don't see the big deal. She never bathes/showers with her father though or sees him in the buff. He wouldn't be comfortable.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with bathing with your child.  Both of my children and I would take a bath together.  Then I had my 3rd and we couldn't all fit in the tub anymore, lol.  I wouldn't take a shower with my 5 year old boy now but I would with my 3 year old.  She's too "cool" for that though, she likes showing alone, lol.  My husband wasn't opposed to taking baths with our son either.  It was fun for them but it ended about a year ago, that's when my hub decided to stop.   He bathed with our 3 year old daughter too until she was about 1.  My 1 year old, she'd rather get a bath in the sink so we don't shower together, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I still shower with my 6 yr old son. So does my husband. I don't shower with my 9 yr old (or 14 yr old obviously) because he is more modest & it's uncomfortable. You will know when to stop - it'll just feel uncomfy.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• we dont shower with our kids unless its when they arent feeling well. dd is 2 and ds is 3. my dd likes to be cuddled when sick so if i need a shower and so does she i go with her. dh doesnt shower with her at all. ds does shower with me but not as often as before. he wants to be a big boy
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I shower with either or both my girls. They are almost 3 and 6. My 6 year old now takes showers by herself but I would take one with her if we were short on time. She is in the room sometimes when I get dressed. I am not really modest and I guess one day they will have the same parts so...As far as boys, I guess if I had boys I would quit by age 2 or 3, not sure until I'm put in that place. As far as Daddy, daughters should never shower with daddy. Even as babies, i think it would creep me out.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 7:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have never showered with my son for a couple of reasons: Sometimes it is the only peace I get and the other reason is because my son pees in the bath!! :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I shower with my 5 yo sometimes still. She still loves it cuz we have water wars but usually she showers alone. She hasn't showered with dad in about a year I guess unless it was necessary- like they both got covered in vomit Yay. She has never really cared one way or another because she always showered with one of us up until she was 3 1/2 but I know my husband started to get weirded out by it so he stopped. I'm always reminded of the joke about how kids see nudity; Little boy is driving with his mom and they come up on a convertible when suddenly the woman in the convertible standds up buck naked driving down the road and the mom begins to feel uncomforatble not knowing how to adress teh situation when the little boy says "Mom! She's not wearing a seatbelt!" Yup, thats what I noticed too sweetie Lol.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 7:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• LOL GoldenLinds! I try to always keep that in mind. We are usually the ones to make a big deal out of something they dont realize. Its all about innocence. Same goes for cartoons with "adult humor". lol
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I never liked bathing with my kids. It's all about comfort. My husband never had a problem with it and showered with them until they were around 5, including the girls. Then he stopped. I suppose because he got uncomfortable of their height, lol. The kids didn't care, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011