should i be judgemental?

I signed my son up for school counceling because i thought that it would help him with some issues that we were having (being his aunt whom is young has been diagnosed with cancer) him and his aunt have always been close and i know that this is bothering him and i don't want him to keep his feelings inside. I asked to meet with the councelor myself, so that i could give her the heads up on the situation and plus if she is going to be talking to my son i wanted to get a feel of her also. well when i walked in my first impression was that she was very young and very tiny. My son who is 10 is bigger than her and she is not married nor does she have any children. The reason i have an issue with this is that before i had my children my outlook was totally different on things, to me to speak with children u would have to know a little more about being a parent. She was a very nice girl and i would like to give her the benefit of the doubt but just not sure. What do u think. and please no bashing i am just simply asking if i am taking this the wrong way or not. Thanks

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 7:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you should give her the benefit of the doubt. You don't know if she has 11 siblings, has practically raised her nieces and nephews, or what.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• In all honesty, he may need that kind of person to talk to as opposed to a "Mommy" type. Try it before you knock it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sorry, not judging anyone period, just my own specific preference.  I wouldn't let anyone without kids council my child.  Not saying that I think you shouldn't.  If you got a good feel for her then go for it, she might surprise you.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Give her a chance and see how it goes. it won't be long before you have a sense of how it is working out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Give her the benefit of the doubt; her district hired her so I would presume she is competent. Her size may actually be a plus - she wouldn't look as intimidating to the children.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I can totally see where you're coming from and it makes perfect sense. I would want my child's councelor to have a bit more experience and probably be a little older - simply because it's my child and I want the best for them, including the best councelors.
    However, the "best councelors" with the best experience, don't just come out of college that way - that have to get that experience some where. :)
    My suggestion would be that you call her or send her an email just coming out right and asking her how she is going to go about this. Be frank with her, ask her. I'm sure she'll respect you and your questions - after all you're watching out for the well-being of your child. That's what good mom's do. :)
    BlissAglow

Answer by BlissAglow at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Id give her a chance, she has to go to school to do what she is doing. She must have experience. thats like saying " i wouldnt hire and attorney if they werent ever sued."

Anonymous

• See how it goes. I think that maybe her being young,she might be more able to understand your son better. Is the cancer terminal? What kind is it? If u want to talk,u can message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'd give her a chance. If it doesn't work out, you can always change your mind later. She might be just what your son needs.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice, i think that i will give her a chance. she seemed nice enough and if it doesn't work out there r other routes that i can take. as for his aunts cancer, we found out about a week after thanksgiving and she was in the hospital all of dec. she is home now but is traveling back and forth for radiation and chemo treatments. as for it being terminal i pray that it's not but it had spread in between the time she left the hospital and started the treatments. her bones r breaking so far she has had a broken back, rib, collarbone, pelvic bone, and fractured hip. they said that it was not in any major organs which is a good thing but we have not asked the question of how long. She is 32 and it started out as kidney cancer but by the time we found it, it had already left the kidney and had spread to other areas in her body. :(
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011