Are there any parents out there that are homeschooling their preschoolers or toddlers?

burtmommy05

Asked by burtmommy05 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 2, 4, and 5 year old. I homeschool the 4 year old as preschool and my 5 year old in kindergarten. I'm loving every minute of it and am so glad I have the chance to do it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I have a 3 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. We have been homeschooling since my son was in first grade.
    thehippiemama

Answer by thehippiemama at 1:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I consider that one of the main reasons to be a SAHM at this age. Of course I teach her. Do I sit her down and have her do workbook pages and drill her with flashcards? No. That type of learning is actually harmful for preschoolers and I know it would destroy my child's desire to learn. They learn best through play and there is more to learn about the world than just the ABC's and 123's.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

I diddo her!
    dylans_mom

Answer by dylans_mom at 4:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my kids are ages 2 & 4 and so far we are homeschooling by playing :) reading and talking. no workbooks have entered the picture.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• HOME SCHOOLED CHILDREN ARE USUALLY MUCH FURTHER AHEAD IN EDUCATIONAL SKILLS THAN PUBLIC, PRIVATE OR CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS. SO IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY I SAY DO IT.
    FOR PRESCHOOLING DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. THERE IS NO LAW SAYING YOU MUST BE PRE-SCHOOLED BUT IT SURELY MAKES THEM MUCH BETTER STUDENTS LATER IN LIFE. AND THEY LOVE DOING WORKBOOKS!!! IT IS SO MUCH FUN FOR THEM. I RAN A HOME DAY CARE FOR 15 YRS BEFORE I HAD MY DAUGHTER AND ALL THE KIDS LOVED USING WORKBOOKS. I HAD OUR CLASSROOM FIXED UP WITH THE ALPHABET AND NUMBERS AND DIFFERENT COLORS OF SHAPES ALL OVER THE WALLS. THEY ALL LOVED IT. 2 OF THEM PRE-TESTED HIGHEST IN THE COUNTY IN DIFFERENT YRS FOR KINDERGARTEN, SO I KNOW IT IS VALUABLE TO DO SO.
    EDUCATION MATTERS A WHOLE LOT TO ME AND THE SCHOOLS ARE NO LONGER A SAFE PLACE FOR ANY CHILD TO BE.

TAMMY-VA
    TFF1963

Answer by TFF1963 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'm doing homeschooling stuff with my 3 (almost 4) yr old. He's been begging me to go to school since he was 2, and he couldn't get in this year. So I found a lot of activities online for him to do. He does great with them. And he actually really enjoys sitting down at the table with worksheets or workbooks. He asks to do it! I don't force him, when he's done, that's fine. But he even has his little backpack he keeps his "homework" in, says he has to get home if we go somewhere because he has to do homework. I've never intended to homeschool my kids, but since he couldn't go to school this year, that was our only option.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My boys are the same way. I never went into homeschooling with the idea of having my kids sit at the table with pencil and paper in hand but that's what they prefer! Whatever works! They get excited when we buy new workbooks and they're ready to rip through the entire thing the first time they open it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• my 2 (almost 3) year old daughter loves to pretend that she is in school. We have little worksheets with all sorts of learning stuff and she'll do one or two a day. She even has me pack a sandwhich, some juice, and a snack in an old lunch box of mine and acts like she is going to school when we sit down to work on her little lesson(s) for the day.
    We keep her papers in a folder with the ones she's finished on one side and the ones she needs to do on the other.
    deltadawn1975

Answer by deltadawn1975 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2008