Dinner

My 4yo daughter goes to school and will fall asleep before dinner. EVERY night! I know kids will eat when theyre hungry. Im a firm believer in that. Ialso know that when she comes home she has cereal or a healthy snack. I would like her to eat a decent meal before bed though. Should I make her dinner and have her eat it as soon as she gets home? Or just do what Im doing and know she'll grow out of it with age? TIA

PS...she will sleep until the next morning. We dont eat late either. I guess school just really wipes her out

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just let her be. If shes hungry she will eat. Just make sure she eats something healthy in the morning.
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 7:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Is she really small for her age? We had this issue with our granddaughter and we thought she would grow out of it too. I mentioned it to her pediatrician. SHe wanted to check her for anemia. I was like yeah, right. Guess who was anemic. We began giving her the iron supplement and wow did her energy level and stamina go through the roof. I'm not saying that is what is going on for you..but I would at least mention it to her Dr. next time you go.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks Grneyedgrandma but she is actually tall for her age. Our friends kids her age are in 4-5t and shes a 5-6 in girls. She is avg and somewhat thin. Def not overweight. I just think that since this is her first year going to school full time, its just a lot for her. She gets picked up at 810 and dropped off at 345. I know its long but she loves it and I work. Shes fine on the weekends
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If the issue doesn't happen on the weekends it probably is just a long day. Does she get a snack at school? Up through 1st grade our school allow parents to send a snack that they eat around 1. It really helps my grandson a lot. They eat lunch at like 10;45., but they also start school at 7:15 out at 2;25. He had a tough time in Kinder getting used to the long day.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• She has snack time at 10am and lunch around noon. When her dh and I went to her Christmas Play we noticed that she didnt eat her lunch. That day we let her buy. Im not sure if it had to do with the excitement or not. BUT when I pack her lunch she is sent home with a lot of it left over. But she does eat her snack. I agree that its just prob a long day
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'd have her eat a meal after she gets home from school. It'll help her build up energy by having that stored in her body after she falls asleep. Which may help prevent her from falling asleep after school. As well talk with her doctor, she may have low iron and that's the reason she's falling asleep so early.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011