If you were already madly in love, getting ready to marry someone, and found out you were closely related... what would you do?

In some states a blood test is required to make sure you're not first blood before you get married. What would you do if you went in just to comply with state law, found out your SO was closely related to you?

Hypothetical, people, my husband and I passed the blood test lol.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• call me crazy but I would probably marry them anyway. Both of us would just get fixed and adopt kids. Its not like you grew up knowing they were related to you so it wouldn't feel gross.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 8:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No clue. Maybe marry in another state?? Id do what I could to be with my fiance. Im not into incest but if I was happy and distantly related then why not? lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I didnt know that it was illegal to marry family. lol Morally wrong but legally? I never knew a such blood test even existed. Maybe just not where Im from
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Eh, I mean my family is pretty close to our 2nd cousins and even some 3rd! But I think I would be ok...maybe at 3rd and farther. If that happened that is.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'd do what the law said I have to do (not marry). How does one get to the point where they want to marry their sibling anyway?
    Anonymous

• I think I would be to grossed out by it.... I wouldn't be able to enjoy being intimate knowing we were family, it would probably scar me for life.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• hha.. Steph319 yes it is very illegal to marry closer than ur 2nd cousin just like its illegal to marry more than one person. And Some States do require a blood test..

I'd say if It were a 2nd cousin or beyond I wouldnt mind it..we obviously didnt grow up together or even KNOWING about each other so it wouldnt bother me..

NOW if it was like my stepbrother, half brother it would def. change some stuff....1st cousin, uncle..and w/e that close..then idk..we probaly wouldnt be talkin to no family anytime soon..but i'd assume that we would of met our families and SOMEONE would of caught onto it..
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We're talkin' first blood here... siblings, first cousins, aunts or uncles, etc.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would hope that my love would be able to change very quickly into a "family" kind of love cause I wouldn't be marrying my cousin, or anyone else in my family, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I couldn't marry them and couldn't continue the relationship. It would be too weird for me and very disgusting knowing that we were married. I just couldn't go through with it. Which, yes, after falling in love and going about starting a life it would be hard. However, it is just something that shouldn't be done .. relatives getting married (blood or not) and I couldn't do it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011