Breastfeeding and having an alcoholic beverage?

I know that your body will metabolize a certain amount of alcohol out of your breast milk. If I want to have a drink or two and NOT pump and dump how long should I wait to nurse after two drinks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No need to wait.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• So if I nurse two or three hours after I have two drinks that is enough time?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You don't need to wait but if you would feel more comfortable if you did, it takes the body to process one drink in about an hour. A good rule of thumb is that if you are over the limit to drive, then you are over the limit to nurse and need to either wait or pump and dump.
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't actually know the answer so I googled it for ya to see what we could come up with, lol.

MrsHouston47302

• The rule of thumb .... Too drunk to drive then you are too drunk to breastfeed. We all have a different tolerance level so saying a definite number is impossible. Enjoy your drink or drinks which ever!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• agreed with all above but also want to mention those test strips in case you want to be super sure.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Pumping and dumping does not get rid of the "alcoholic" milk. I checked la leche league's site and searched it for alcohol and breastfeeding and went by their recommendations.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The rule that I follow is 1-2 drinks, fine to nurse, and any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pumping is not necessary unless you are doing so to make up for a missed feed or relieve engorgement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• im with pp's
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2011