anyone have an opinion of a parent letting a 10 year old go out and start their car.

I know a neighbor that allows their child to do this. I am very shocked and would like to say something. Do I have a right to or just let them do their own thing. I worry that something terrible could happen.

cardinal58

Asked by cardinal58 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Regardless if its wrong or right, its no one's business. If you talk to the parents about it, what do you think they would say? By you bringing it to "thier attention" what do you hope to accomplish? I know you want to be the one to let them know that what their doing is wrong but in a way it really isn't...if he's not moving the car but only starting it up, what s wrong with it?
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 1:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011

• I think it would depend on the 10 year old. If they're capable, and responsible, then why not? If, however, they're the sort of kid to act up, and misbehave..then no. I wouldn't trust them to go out and start a vehicle. I used to start my dad's truck for him when I was that age. It was never a big deal.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think it's wrong and dangerous. I also think that if something did happen the adult should be arrested for ignorance...not sure if that's illegal though!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's just starting the car .. Unless he knocks it into gear or the car magically blows up there's not a whole lot that could go wrong. He's 10 years old I think he's smart enough to know to do only that one thing and not mess around. Now I wouldn't let a 5 year old go and start my car, but I don't see how a 10 year old starting it is a problem.

I agree with another comment .. If you know the kid cannot be trusted and will try to drive the car (or whatever else) then it's a bad idea. However, if you know the child can be trusted then there's nothing wrong with it. People are sooo paranoid these days and think that NOTHING should be entrusted with a child/teen due to "something" possibly going wrong. Yea I might get hit by a bus by walking across the street, but yet I still walk across the street....
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My opinion is that they're stupid.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If you have a kid who might try to drive the car, it's a bad idea. If you have a kid who thinks it's the greatest job in the world to be entrusted with but who wouldn't think to try driving it, what's the problem?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't agree to it at all. There is so much that could go wrong
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think it is asking for trouble, but it is none of my business!

Answer by older at 9:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Kids thrive on responsibility like this. My 9yo son has started our car (while I was sitting in it because he sits between the driver and passenger so he's closer). He also mows the lawn. He takes these kind of things seriously.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I allow my 12 yr old to start my car. I don't know that I would have at 10yr old. I showed him when he turned 11 how to do it, and the first few times he wanted to try it so I let him with my supervision. I drive a stick shift so its important he knows the car is in neutral, and the emergency break is on. He's never had a problem.
    Where we live though there are some 14 yr olds that can drive to school with school permits, so I would say where I live its not uncommon for younger kids to be starting cars, many of them are driving around at 12 out on the gravel roads to learn how to drive prior to getting that school permit.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011