What would you do? In Ref. to another question.

The question posted was what would you do if you realized you locked yourself out of hour house.

My response was that my 2 year old son had once locked me out at 10pm while I took the dog out for a walk, and I'd yelled at him until he finally unlocked the door.

Another poster's response was" You left your obviously awake 2 year old alone in the house while you took the dog for a walk?" *posted anonymously so I couldn't reply after the question closed, when I read through the other answers*

My 2 year old son was normally very well behaved. I'd tell him I was taking the dog out to pee, and he'd sit on the couch and watch cartoons while I was out for the seriously 5 minutes it would take to walk the dog around the corner of the house (I could see him through a window and hear him if he cried) to pee. 10pm in the middle of winter is not a good time for a little boy to be outside.

What would you do? Would you bundle your tot up and drag him outside for a 5 minute pee, or would you leave him inside, if he was well behaved like my DS usually is.. to watch tv and stay warm?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 8:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's a tough one. I would never leave my child alone in the house at 2. There are so many things that could happen in 5 minutes. I'd put a dog run in.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i leave my kids inside for 5 mins alone all the time! i go get the mail and take out the trash, so i dont think what you did was wrong at all, u were able to see him and hear him..but i do always grab my keys just in case!
    babymama8787

Answer by babymama8787 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We're in an apartment, and couldn't afford a dog run at the time. We now have a chain that goes out off the porch, but the dog tends to wind himself up around the porch so much that I spend as much time out unraveling him as I would just walking him, sometimes more because he's numb and likes to tangle the line around me. We also have a chain link outdoor kennel now, but it takes as long to get to it as it does to walk him around the corner of the house, because it's out behind the building.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I leave my two children (1 and 2) inside while I take the dog out to pee. I leave the door open and can hear them as they're watching their shows. I feel confident that they're behaved enough to know the rules and not get into trouble. I show them them I can trust them and they've proven I can.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't know times have changed so much. Mothers always left their children and would go out back to hang their laundry. Or to run out to the garden to get some fresh tomatoes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011