how to punish a child you babysit....

I just started keeping 2 kids one is almost 2 the other is 4. The 4 year old get mood swings like crazy. I will say something simple to her like its time to eat lets get out the table. She will start SCREAMING at the top of her lungs NO I SAID NO I DON"T WANT TO. or she will just lay there crying. It scares her baby sister that just turned 2 so then the 2 year old starts crying and clinging to me. I tell the 4 year old she is not to act like that and she can sit in her room till she can stop. But she does this over and over telling me NO she don't want to when I tell her to do something. I tell her she is acting ugly and I am not going to let her treat me like that. When I let her out of time out I say are you ready to act nice and she says I am not going to be nice I want to be mean. I told the mom I put her in time out but I am not sure time outs are working really well. Should I keep putting her in time out for yelling at me after she has been giving a warning? and Should I keep putting her back everytime she acts this way......I have babysat tons and tons of kids and never have I been givin this big of a challenge lol there is a ton more that happens its just hard to explain it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask her mother!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, I think you should continue with the time outs. This is clearly a behavior that is not punished at home and she feels that she can get away with it with you as well. You need to show her that she has bounderies and she must respect them. I believe that if the mother isn't going to punish her then you should since you're watching the children. Do not ever hit, spank, or in other words harm the child as punishment clearly, but time outs and having privlages taken away is a punishment that should be used if it's needed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You have to remember that they're not going to work over night. That it'll take some time to reverse this behavior, but it is absolutely needed.
    JazzlikeMraz

• what does the mother say when you tell her how her child acts?
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You need to be consistent that means continuing. But you need to discuss this with the mother. Does she have the same problem and how does she handle it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• ask the mom what she does in those situations. keep up with the time outs 1 minute for every 1 year of age
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 9:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Punishment isn't your job. Discipline is NOT punishment. Teach her how to act if mom won't do it.
    Anonymous

• I had this problem with a child I kept.......it takes a while....keep doing time outs, and don't ask her if she wants to be nice....Tell her she's going to be nice, etc......It took about 3 months before I had this child behaving herself....but then her dad changed babysitter's because she convinced him I was mean....LOL...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• well i have to say her child does act like that when she gets home too and the 2 year old slaps her in the face the 2 year old does smack me 2 time ( i have only kept them for 5 days now) I grab her hand not hitting her or even hurting her hand but grap her hand and say NO we DO NOT HIT....when the 4 year old acts this way or the 2 year old hits her she ignores it. So she lets the 4 year old pitch a fit on the floor and ignores her (at least she don't give in and keep saying whats wrong whats wrong) But I am not putting up with her pitching a fit scaring her sister and talking to me mean when I aske her to do something sooo simple.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Being consistant is the most important thing. Continue putting her in time out when she yells at you. I am a professional nanny and have the same issue with the little one I am currently with. Just never waver from the punishment, she will get it, eventually
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011