MY STEPS SONS WIFE TOLD ME THAT MY GRANDBABY WOULDNT CALL ME GRANDMA

bc she felt like i did not raise my step son they way i did my own children. i honestly feel like i did the best that i could. she is bioplar so her mental illness vomits all over our family. my step son and her have been together 9 yrs. anyways this was back in the summer. now she has emailed im sorry.. .left messages saying she was sorry. and my step son also said he was sorry. my husband is torn up about this bc this is our first grandbaby. AND HE MISSES HIM SO!!! should we allow them back in our life for the sake of our grandson... thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• If you want to see your grandbaby then yes let them back in, come up with a different name then grandma, and enjoy the baby.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• wondering if instead of grandma you couldnt use another form of it like Nana, Mee-maw, grammy somethknig like that or invent a special name for yourself? Sorry you are going through this
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think seeing the baby would be more important then the name. So what if he doesn't call you grandma, if you care for him like a grandma that is all that matters!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• She is sick. She has apologized. If you do not forgive them, it is you who are in the wrong. Your family was hurt. Now help it heal.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Be the bigger people and do what you can to see the baby. She has mental illness and sadly shecant help herself its like high blood pressure or diabetes. Mental illness often goes untreated esp bipolar and do you know what her family history is? Just spend as much time with the baby as you cana andbefore you know it the baby will come up with his own name for you!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ofcourse you want them back if yalls first grand baby :) so what if he doesn't call you grandma why don't you pick out some different names and ask her if shes ok with it. Just try to make it work for the child.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Good grief, they BOTH apologized several times. Let it go and let them back in your life...I am surprised you removed them from you life over something like that.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think that since they said 'sorry' I would accept that they are indeed sorry and they want to mend fences and have a relationship again. For the sake of family harmony and seeing your grandbaby I would let it go and start over. Maybe you can come up with some other Grandma-type name for baby to call you- like Memaw, Nan, Nanny, Grams, Gran, Granny, Mimi, Nonni, Oma, Mim, (you could also use those with your name zb- Gran-Kate), Or you could think of some fun nickname (not grandma related) for baby to call you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would allow them back. They said sorry. Don't bring it back up again. Just as if it never happened. Family is precious.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 10:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes you should, part of being a family is forgiveness and getting past the drama. I understand you were hurt and she had no right to tell you her child would not call you grandma but in the end that child will grow up knowing you as grandma regardless of what your daughter in law might say. I babysit my ex-husband's 2 year old daughter; mostly because she is a good kid and she is sisters with my two girls - she calls my mom grammy, my brother uncle, my aunt is auntie to her as well. I'm sure inside her mother is seething but the point is that even though my ex and I are no longer married his kids with his girlfriend are a part of my life because I have two kids with him and she's in my family's life because my family is generous; despite how badly my marriage ended they treat his daughter like they treat my daughters.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011