walking

i have months and months to go b4 i even give this much thought at all but with my second i worry he will follow his brother and walk to soon. how soon is to soon? i know my first was alittle over a year. i Don't the baby to soon and become bolegged..

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 9:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bow-legs have nothing to do with when they learn to walk. The leg shape develops over time. All babies have some sort of weird shape to their legs int he beginning. The bones are still soft and the muscles are not fully developed. Learning to walkl straightens and strengthens the legs.

Children begin pre-walking movements as early as 7 months or as late as 14 months. The range of normal for full on unassisted walking is huge.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Babies walk when they're ready to walk...so I really don't think there's such a thing as too early, at least not developmentally. For us Moms, absolutely! Having a toddler is a lot of work, so I totally understand. You should talk to you OB about your fears regarding the walking, I bet they will have lots of wisdom and advice for you and hopefully put your mind at ease. My little guy is 13 months and he takes 5-6 steps at a time and falls down, so not walking perfectly but getting there soon. I know a few kids who walked by 7-9 months and a few who didn't walk until they were almost 2, and all of these children are perfectly normal and their legs are just fine so don't worry yourself too much! I hope this helps a little :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 9:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Bolegged doesn't come from walking to early, its something a child is born with, and as they begin to bear weight it can be made worse. But it as to be an underlying condition, its not just developed by walking. And I don't believe there is such a thing as walking too early, children will do it when their balance, coordination, and strength allow them to. Even if your LO wants to follow big brother, if his muscles and balance aren't mature enough it won't happen, at least not in the walking sense. I understand your worry though, with multiple children it is nice when one isn't quite so mobile as the other :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• thats great guys i wa always told that bowleggedness was due to walking to early. then whatever lol. i was given misinfo for years
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• and thats wayyyy awesome .. sorry i hope that first reply didnt sound sarcastic
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• im with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2011