why even go to the doctor

When all they tell me is there's nothing they can do cause his age! The poor kid hasn't been able to not cough every minute for an hour and a half! humidifier not working! Grrr

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 9:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They can't do anything because of his age?  Well, that sounds like BS to me.  I would get a 2nd opinion.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah he's "to young for anus medication" so what watch him hack up a lung? Don't think so
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• What is wrong with him besides coughing. Does he have allergies, a cold, runny nose, ear infection? Cough medicines do not always work with young children and they do not want to give a young child codeine. They should be treating the cause of the cough if they cannot treat the cough itself.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my son is 10 months old and the doctor gave him a rx for cough syrup. Maybe you need to get a second opinion.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They said he looked fine. The poor kid doesn't sound fine! he's finally falling asleep but still coughing. And just a cough no runny nose no fever nothing just a fat cough
    Heidikans

Comment by Heidikans (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sometimes I think parenthood was easier 10-20 years ago when we were told to give our young children medications. funny thing is, it always helped my 3 older kids. Now that I have a toddler, I am suddenly being told that "there is no evidence that it works". Yeah, there is, they are now 23, 21 and 11.
    ____________________
    Try Vicks Vapo rub for babies. But it on the LO's chest and feet.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I had this prob when my son was younger and even now that he is 2..dr told me to use a cool mist humidifier well his broke and i couldn't afford another $30-$40 machine so i just bought a warm humidifier and pour the liquid vicks in the water and this has seemed to really help my son this winter. Before the warm humidifier he would have a cough non stop! So glad i decided to think on my own and not what a dr always says. That and I give him some benydryl when he has a constant runny nose. really seems to help. Good luck momma
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Most doctors now will not give cold medicine to children under a certain age. I rarely take my son to the doctor for just that reason! But he is 4 now and I can finally give him some over the counter cough medicines. I honestly think younger kids would be ok with some meds., I think our society has become wayyyyy too overprotective with some things, including this!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Oh forgot to mention...my son is 2 and i give him otc meds for a cold. It helps him but i just give him 1tsp of it. My dr wasn't so happy about the idea but if it helps i will continue it. I don't over dose him which is why most dr won't give meds to young children.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Hun, u need a new doctor! good luck. i hope he gets better soon. don't wait, take him to er if you have to.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011