Who watches T.V. with their kids????

How much time do you spend watching T.V.? Recently a friend told me I was depriving my son of quality family time because we don't watch T.V. We do on occasion rent movies. I believe we have more quality time without the influences of the world in my living room.

BigMomm4

Asked by BigMomm4 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• That's pretty funny. Quality time doesn't have to include the tv, it's about spending time together. They are being deprived of nothing - your friend needs to get a grip. I watch some programs with my youngest; we talk about the lessons (Dora, Ni Hau Kai-Lan). Sometimes I watch sows with my older kids too, we talk about the show during it though, we're not sitting there like zombies. (We aren't a big "tv" family.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my family watches a loooott of tv. but my kids still get a lot of attention. (sometimes they request it during tv time and of course they get it.) but they tend to play independently if im watching a show they aren't interested in (theyre 17 months so we dont have TOO many of the same favorite shows lol)
    i watch their shows with them. they love tv. i dont think youre depriving your kids of anything by not watching tv together. as long as theyre getting to spend time with you and getting attention, then tv or no tv, they'll be fine. thats my opinion.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• it seems like the tv is always on in our house but my dd is 1 so she really doesnt sit and watch it yet, and i really dont want her too either! i would agree with u there are better "family time" things to do than watch tv! do crafts or board games, puzzles! when i was lil we did a family game night once a month or more! it was a blast, its something im going to do with my dd as she gets older!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• "Quality Time" is how I rated dates back when I used to still go out on them!!! I used to see where a guy's interests were by the kind of date they wanted to go on... was it a movie than him thinking he did something to deserve what he "thinks" he is going to get... or was he willing to do an activity where he was going to have conversation and actually get to know me!

Same goes with parenting... are you talking over dinner, while playing board games, and so forth or mindlessly watching TV where there is no real interaction with your kid???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• lol my 2 yr old dd watches yo gabba gabba and dora, ni hau kai Lan, and heck yes its quality time!
    we groove along and shhout answers..i tried to sit once but my dd grabs my hand and tells me to join in :)
    so there we go to "break it dowwwwwn" :P
    supermom91

Answer by supermom91 at 2:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• i wanna know why your friend would say that to you. that's rude.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011