Do you ever drink in front of your kids?

Not like to the point of being trashed and vomiting all night. But like will you order a drink with dinner if your husabnd/so is driving home? Or if you're at a 4th of july party where children are present, do the adults partake in social drinking (again, not in excess) What about summer bonfires? Or you've just had a long day and want a glass of wine. I grew up in a home where alcohol was always present, but never consumed in excess. Birthday parties, christmas, thanksgiving, there was always beer present for the guys, wine and champaign for the girls. I remember being very young and knowing our mom was out with friends in the backyard drinking/enjoying a bonfire while us little ones were inside "sleeping" during the summer. I now raise my child the same way. He's never seen me wasted, vomiting, trashed or anything in excess, but he's grown up going to bonfires where everyone is drinking. He and his friends run around playing, the rest of us enjoy drinks and conversation. He's played euchre with SO and I and friends while everyone was drinking beer.
In a recent post I read I was amazed how many people said drinking around your kids was never ok. I prefer to just have him with me at a friends house where I know he's safe and playing with friends, then to leave him with a random sitter. Obviously I would never take my child to a bar, but I see no problems with bonfires or family friendly cookouts/holiday parties. Is my group of friends the only ones who view this behavior acceptable? From the posts I was reading people were making it seem like it was horrible just to drink on occasion, let alone with your children present.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• sure. I had a beer with dinner tonight and I'm thinking of having another because the kids are on my last nerve. I'm a lightweight so that would probably make me a bit tipsy. But my husband is home to deal with them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We do - there is nothing wrong with an adult enjoying an adult beverage. I think it's ridiculous that people believe it's wrong to have a cocktail in front of your kids. Why on earth not??
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes, I do. Children have to see RESPONSIBLE adult behavior in order to know what is acceptable behavior. I have NEVER gotten even buzzed around my child and if I am driving I have no more than 1 drink.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes I do. I think that any child is going to want to drink and if they see mom and dad drinking responsibly, they may learn something from it.

Too many kids are drinking to get blitzed. As fast and as much as they can rather than learning that you it is possible to just drink for the pleasure of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I sure do and see no problem with it at all, although my SO will not.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My daughter does not want me to have any sort of adult drink...ever. So if she is around, I feel like I am disappointing her if I would order one, so I don't. If I go out with a friend for dinner, I will usually have one drink and that's it. Alcohol is something that is present at some of our extended family's events and my children know that it is ok to drink it when you are 21, but we just both kind of let it go when we started having children.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm not a drinker, but if I was, I guess I wouldn't have a problem enjoying an alcoholic beverage in the presence of my children. There's nothing inherently evil about alcohol. It's the over consumption of it that is a problem. The same can be said for food, right?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• "My children"...lol...I only have one child :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Socially yes... but not to the point of vomiting, lol. I can be responsible and control myself, and so can DH. She knows alcohol is only for grownups and has no problem telling people that either, lol.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 1:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I do but I tell her it is a grownup drink
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 11:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011