Breastfeeding moms....

I'm going to be doing a phone consult with our Lactation Consultant about going back to work and pumping. I'm curious what questions you think that I should ask her....I need to know all about how long before I go back to work to start pumping....when to introduce the bottle and so on....What are some questions that you can think of for me to ask her. I don't want to forget anything so any help would be great!! Thanks a lot!! :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 11:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might want to check out the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, if you haven't already
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Here's some answers.
    Start pumping as soon as you can to build up a supply at home. Pump an hour after baby nurses.
    Make sure to use first in first out since breast milk changes as baby ages. Different nutrients at different times.
    I started the bottle at 4 weeks. Have someone else give the bottle since baby will know where the 'tap' is if you are trying to give the bottle.
    helpful hints:
    Pack enough valves and cups to use a fresh one at each pump. Normally work environments aren't set up well to clean them and it takes additional time that they may not allow you to have.
    Take something that baby has worn so you can smell it to help with letdown.
    I also recorded baby's noises so that I could listen to them when I pumped.
    Make sure that your work place has a room to pump that is not a bathroom.
    Invest in a pumping bra.
    Don't expect to get more than 1 oz from both breasts when pumping.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Pumps are NOT a good indicator of how much milk you are producing.
    Nurse exclusively when at home to keep your supply up.
    Do NOT feel guilty if you have to supplement formula when you are at work if you cannot get enough stored up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Heres a few things I did when pumping, which fourtnaetly i had no problems.

1) there is a nutraitional supplemnt you can take to keep your supply up. (ask the consult) i believe its called FetaGreek

2) Drink plenty of fluids, milk, ask how many calories you need to be intaking. working and taking care of a child is hard work, but in order to nurse, you MUST take care of you and make sure you are staying healthy foodwise. stay away from the caffiene as much as possible.

3) is there a place in your work enviroment you can comfortably pump without embarassment? you may consider a nursing sling.

4) Something I did when breastfeeding. (depends on how comfy you are with the consult) is ask them to watch u nurse and see if they can offer you any pointers. breastfeeding is meant to be enjoyable...not a hassle. Its good to have support when breastfeeding so you can make it a bond.
    toughmom638

Answer by toughmom638 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• The supplement is Fenugreek. 3000 mg daily is a common dose for lactation.

Bottles can be introduced when you go back to work, really. No baby will starve herself....better that the caregiver does the bottle than you. Babies often refuse bottles when given by mom. And there's really no such thing as getting them used to it. They take it or not. "Not" is fine... that's reverse cycling. There are a lot of breastfed babies who won't take a drop till mom's home, and they're quite healthy and content.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• mothers milk tea is really good for breastfeeding! itll help your supply and make sit overall better and makes things easier.. i loved it. its like a prenatal for your boobs! lol
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2011