Any suggestions for havig a newborn around 3 big dogs and 3 cats?

I'm due in September and just want any advice on having pets and a newborn. All the dogs are kennel trained.

Dragonfly_95

Asked by Dragonfly_95 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know this isn't what you want to hear but I would get rid of 2 dogs and 2 cats.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Keep your eye on your baby constantly because even the most mild mannered pets can turn vicious in an instant. At night when you're asleep you need to close the door to the baby's room to make sure there are no animals going in there.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I know this probablyisn't what you want to hear but I WOULDN'T
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I'm with the rest, I wouldn't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Watch them when the baby is around and at night or when your busy send them outside or put them in a kennel. You can't just dump your dogs because you bring home a baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• my dad raised me around breeding rottys. get the dogs more then that cats used to kids of all ages before the baby comes tack them to a park or just around you friends kids. then just love all the animals lots when the baby comes that way they dont feel like they are being left out or abandoned. and get the baby used to the dogs and cats at a young age so they know how to be around them.
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• I had newborn babies when we had 3 big dogs and cats...no problems.

It depends on your animals and who is running the household. It depends on how much competition already exists, what anxieties or fears your animals do or do not have. Obviously, there are many factors.

However, the best thing you can do is purchase a live baby doll, the one that moves arms or legs on its own and makes a variation of sounds. Carry the baby doll around and give it a lot of attention, work out the jealousies and the fears best you can now, if there are any to work out that is. (Big rewards for the pets when the doll is out. So they realize baby=good things.)

Add the child gates and get the dogs used to having them in the house. Train the dog to come find an adult every time the crying baby doll is set down on the ground. Essentially-training the dog to have an "out" Dogs who are forced to be with the child, are the recipe for disaster.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• Most problems, if there are probs. occur around 12 months-walking stages. That is when a fearful or anxious dog becomes very wary. And when the child can really reach the dog, and starts to experiment with hair pulling, etc. So always supervise 100% and be careful around the learning to walk stages.

Use crates to separate, and have a dog bed in the room that is dog only. You can teach your child to stay off the dog bed with a lot of repetition. Gives your dog a safe place in the house, another out. Having a place to "escape" is very important.

If the dog is uncomfortable with the baby or child, let them take their own time. The biggest mistake is people will push the dog to the child and say "Its okay, nice, gentle...etc" Bad idea.

I let my children drop food from the high chair sometimes, some people don't. I think it also was good bonding time. The dog loved to see that child in the high chair! Positive associations!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• bring some piece of cloth o the hospital and make sure to get the baby´s smell on it as well as yours and hubby´s... have hubby take that to the house so the dogs/cats can smell it...that way when the baby comes home it´ll be like: wait, I KNOW that smell from somewhere. (we grea around german shepherds and other large breed dogs)
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 2:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• never leave baby with any of them and be extra careful of the dogs jumping up gl x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2011